From: Margaret Bartley on
WinXP SP 3 Media Center edition 2002
When I plugged my Memory Card REader/Writer into my VAIO machine, which is
about five years old, I got a messaget hat it was not plugged into a
high-speed USB port.

I clicked on the alert, and it opened up a window with the title, "HI-SPEED
USB Device Attached to non-HI-SPEED Hub.

then, it showed a tree-view of the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
Controller. Under it was an entry, USB Root HUB (8 ports) This is in bold
font.
Under this USB Root Hub were 8 entries, 6 of which said, "Unused Port", one
said USB Composite Device" and one said, Sony Memory Card Reader/Writer.

At the bottom of the screen, it said
Recommendation
Disconnect the USB Mass Storage Device from its current port and then
connect it to one of hte ports on a hub shown in bold type.

Well, I think the card reader/writer is the thing that is sendign the error
message, and it is plugged into the root hub which is listed in bold type.

Is this a bug in Windows, or is there something not obvious that I can do to
get better performance out of this card reader?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Margaret Bartley wrote:
> WinXP SP 3 Media Center edition 2002
> When I plugged my Memory Card REader/Writer into my VAIO machine,
> which is about five years old, I got a messaget hat it was not
> plugged into a high-speed USB port.
>
> I clicked on the alert, and it opened up a window with the title,
> "HI-SPEED USB Device Attached to non-HI-SPEED Hub.
>
> then, it showed a tree-view of the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
> Controller. Under it was an entry, USB Root HUB (8 ports) This is
> in bold font.
> Under this USB Root Hub were 8 entries, 6 of which said, "Unused
> Port", one said USB Composite Device" and one said, Sony Memory
> Card Reader/Writer.
> At the bottom of the screen, it said
> Recommendation
> Disconnect the USB Mass Storage Device from its current port and
> then connect it to one of hte ports on a hub shown in bold type.
>
> Well, I think the card reader/writer is the thing that is sendign
> the error message, and it is plugged into the root hub which is
> listed in bold type.
> Is this a bug in Windows, or is there something not obvious that I
> can do to get better performance out of this card reader?

It is *not* a bug in Windows. What in the world would make you jump to that
conclusion?

It is telling you that your computer's hardware does not seem to include USB
2.0 ports and/or the particular port you are utizing does not have USB 2.0
capabilities.

What is the exact model of your Sony Vaio and when did you actually purchase
it?

What you are looking for under computer manager that would let you know you
had USB 2.0 ports available to you with the proper drivers installed woud be
"Enhanced" or something similar in the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
section of Device Manager.

Learn about USB a little - nothing overly-technical here:
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

Specific to you verifying what you have/don't have:
http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html
and
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Basically - do you ever see the word "Enhanced" in that area of device
manager?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Cefoxtrot on
Your laptop does not have any high speed USB ports. I know because I had a
Vaio about 5 years old also.
You can get a converter card or hub at your local computer store.

Good luck!

From: OliverS on
Cefoxtrot wrote:
> Your laptop does not have any high speed USB ports. I know because I had a
> Vaio about 5 years old also.
> You can get a converter card or hub at your local computer store.
>
> Good luck!

I tried those on an older machine and they did not work. Most devices
will work with a USB 1.0 slot, they are just a little slower. Just
ignore the irritating warnings.

Oliver
From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
If the USB 2.0 hub plugs into a USB 1.0 port, the USB 1.0 port will limit
the circuit to USB 1.0.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Cefoxtrot" <Cefoxtrot(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Your laptop does not have any high speed USB ports. I know because I had a
> Vaio about 5 years old also.
> You can get a converter card or hub at your local computer store.
>
> Good luck!
>
> "Margaret Bartley" wrote:
>
>> WinXP SP 3 Media Center edition 2002
>> When I plugged my Memory Card REader/Writer into my VAIO machine, which
>> is
>> about five years old, I got a messaget hat it was not plugged into a
>> high-speed USB port.
>>
>> I clicked on the alert, and it opened up a window with the title,
>> "HI-SPEED
>> USB Device Attached to non-HI-SPEED Hub.
>>
>> then, it showed a tree-view of the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
>> Controller. Under it was an entry, USB Root HUB (8 ports) This is in
>> bold
>> font.
>> Under this USB Root Hub were 8 entries, 6 of which said, "Unused Port",
>> one
>> said USB Composite Device" and one said, Sony Memory Card Reader/Writer.
>>
>> At the bottom of the screen, it said
>> Recommendation
>> Disconnect the USB Mass Storage Device from its current port and then
>> connect it to one of hte ports on a hub shown in bold type.
>>
>> Well, I think the card reader/writer is the thing that is sendign the
>> error
>> message, and it is plugged into the root hub which is listed in bold
>> type.
>>
>> Is this a bug in Windows, or is there something not obvious that I can do
>> get better performance out of this card reader?
>>

>> .
>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: IE