From: Corinna Vinschen on
Aaron Gray wrote:
> Thanks for looking. No I have a X86 COFF backend already and need debugging
> information in order to debug it. If I cannot get hold of the spec I will
> have to reverse engineer it :(

If I understand you correctly, you're just implementing the tool which
produces the debug output. So, what speaks against emitting an open,
well-documented format like stabs or dwarf2?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader
From: Pavel A. on
Also, maybe Phoenix stuff can be of help for you

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/phoenix/thread/4eb6a89c-cb57-4fa7-9cb0-6f7b2d161f7e

--pa

From: Aaron Gray on
"Corinna Vinschen" <corinna(a)community.nospam> wrote in message
> Aaron Gray wrote:
>> Thanks for looking. No I have a X86 COFF backend already and need
>> debugging
>> information in order to debug it. If I cannot get hold of the spec I will
>> have to reverse engineer it :(
>
> If I understand you correctly, you're just implementing the tool which
> produces the debug output. So, what speaks against emitting an open,
> well-documented format like stabs or dwarf2?

Hi Corinna,

Yes I have been thinking about doing several formats rather than just one,
but most Windeows debuggers work with CV so would like to get that working
first.

Aaron

From: Aaron Gray on

> For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
> specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
> need to generate CodeView debugging information.

I am trying to get a copy of "Visual C++ 5.0 Symbolic Debug Information
Specification" from 2001 MSDN days.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

From: Pavel A. on
>> For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
>> specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
>> need to generate CodeView debugging information.
>
> I am trying to get a copy of "Visual C++ 5.0 Symbolic Debug Information
> Specification" from 2001 MSDN days.

If you wish to be compatible with _current_ MS toolchains,
perhaps documentation from VC++ 5.0 days is way too old. Even VC++ 6.0 is
too old.
Have you looked in the Phoenix & MS Research resources?

--pa

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Clipboard internals