From: parag on
I need the source code for the shell utility 'file'
I need to find the algorithm to find whether a given file is an
executable or not
From: Joachim Schmitz on
parag wrote:
> I need the source code for the shell utility 'file'
> I need to find the algorithm to find whether a given file is an
> executable or not

I guess you're looking for the GNU package 'fileutils', now part of
'coreutils'

bye, Jojo

From: parag on
On Jul 19, 7:12 pm, "Joachim Schmitz" <nospam.j...(a)schmitz-digital.de>
wrote:
> parag wrote:
> > I need the source code for the shell utility 'file'
> > I need to find the algorithm to find whether a given file is an
> > executable or not
>
> I guess you're looking for the GNU package 'fileutils', now part of
> 'coreutils'
>
> bye, Jojo

Thanks for the same. I did not find it in coreutils yet. Searching for
it
From: parag on
wrote:
> parag wrote:
> > I need the source code for the shell utility 'file'
> > I need to find the algorithm to find whether a given file is an
> > executable or not
>
> I guess you're looking for the GNU package 'fileutils', now part of
> 'coreutils'
>
> bye, Jojo
Could only find the following guys in coreutils. Any idea where I can
find the source code for utility 'file'

basename.c cut.c fold.c ls-vdir.c printenv.c
su.c uniq.c
cat.c date.c fs.h Makefile.am printf.c
sum.c unlink.c
checksum.h dcgen groups.sh Makefile.in ptx.c
sync.c uptime.c
chgrp.c dd.c head.c md5.c pwd.c
sys2.h users.c
chmod.c df.c hostid.c md5sum.c readlink.c
system.h wc.c
chown.c dircolors.c hostname.c mkdir.c remove.c
tac.c wheel-gen.pl
chown-core.c dircolors.h id.c mkfifo.c remove.h tac-
pipe.c wheel.h
chown-core.h dircolors.hin install.c mknod.c rm.c
tail.c wheel-size.h
chroot.c dirname.c join.c mv.c rmdir.c
tee.c whoami.c
cksum.c du.c kill.c nice.c seq.c
test.c who.c
comm.c echo.c link.c nl.c sha1sum.c
touch.c yes.c
copy.c env.c ln.c nohup.sh shred.c tr.c
copy.h expand.c logname.c od.c sleep.c
true.c
cp.c expr.c ls.c paste.c sort.c
tsort.c
cp-hash.c factor.c ls-dir.c pathchk.c split.c
tty.c
cp-hash.h false.c ls.h pinky.c stat.c
uname.c
csplit.c fmt.c ls-ls.c pr.c stty.c
unexpand.c
From: Joachim Schmitz on
parag wrote:
> On Jul 19, 7:12 pm, "Joachim Schmitz" <nospam.j...(a)schmitz-digital.de>
> wrote:
>> parag wrote:
>>> I need the source code for the shell utility 'file'
>>> I need to find the algorithm to find whether a given file is an
>>> executable or not
>>
>> I guess you're looking for the GNU package 'fileutils', now part of
>> 'coreutils'
>>
>> bye, Jojo
> Could only find the following guys in coreutils. Any idea where I can
> find the source code for utility 'file'
>

> basename.c cut.c fold.c ls-vdir.c printenv.c
> su.c uniq.c
> cat.c date.c fs.h Makefile.am printf.c
> sum.c unlink.c
> checksum.h dcgen groups.sh Makefile.in ptx.c
> sync.c uptime.c
> chgrp.c dd.c head.c md5.c pwd.c
> sys2.h users.c
> chmod.c df.c hostid.c md5sum.c readlink.c
> system.h wc.c
> chown.c dircolors.c hostname.c mkdir.c remove.c
> tac.c wheel-gen.pl
> chown-core.c dircolors.h id.c mkfifo.c remove.h tac-
> pipe.c wheel.h
> chown-core.h dircolors.hin install.c mknod.c rm.c
> tail.c wheel-size.h
> chroot.c dirname.c join.c mv.c rmdir.c
> tee.c whoami.c
> cksum.c du.c kill.c nice.c seq.c
> test.c who.c
> comm.c echo.c link.c nl.c sha1sum.c
> touch.c yes.c
> copy.c env.c ln.c nohup.sh shred.c tr.c
> copy.h expand.c logname.c od.c sleep.c
> true.c
> cp.c expr.c ls.c paste.c sort.c
> tsort.c
> cp-hash.c factor.c ls-dir.c pathchk.c split.c
> tty.c
> cp-hash.h false.c ls.h pinky.c stat.c
> uname.c
> csplit.c fmt.c ls-ls.c pr.c stty.c
> unexpand.c

Sorry, I was missleading you. It is a separate package. Try
http://www.darwinsys.com/file/ resp. ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/

Bye, Jojo