From: Matt Giwer on
On 02/23/2010 09:29 AM, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I noticed my old Debian box, with Kernel v2.6.30-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 4
> 00:53:20 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux, has Bluetooth installed and running.
> Is that part of the kernel or somewhere else? Dmesg command showed:
> /var/lib/update-rc.d/bluetooth
>
> Do I assume I have to customize Kernel to remove it?

Try simply chkconfig for bluetooth and then as root turn it off.

--
The standard of justice for Palestinians is the same standard Jews demand
for themselves from Germany.
From: Tecknode on
Matt Giwer wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 09:29 AM, Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I noticed my old Debian box, with Kernel v2.6.30-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 4
>> 00:53:20 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux, has Bluetooth installed and running.
>> Is that part of the kernel or somewhere else? Dmesg command showed:
>> /var/lib/update-rc.d/bluetooth
>>
>> Do I assume I have to customize Kernel to remove it?
>
> Try simply chkconfig for bluetooth and then as root turn it off.

If Bluetooth is installed, it is because you have Bluetooth card in
your hardware. That is why Debian installed the driver.

From: Matt Giwer on
On 03/01/2010 03:28 PM, Tecknode wrote:
> Matt Giwer wrote:
>> On 02/23/2010 09:29 AM, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> I noticed my old Debian box, with Kernel v2.6.30-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 4
>>> 00:53:20 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux, has Bluetooth installed and running.
>>> Is that part of the kernel or somewhere else? Dmesg command showed:
>>> /var/lib/update-rc.d/bluetooth
>>> Do I assume I have to customize Kernel to remove it?
>> Try simply chkconfig for bluetooth and then as root turn it off.

> If Bluetooth is installed, it is because you have Bluetooth card in your
> hardware. That is why Debian installed the driver.

My quad has bluetooth and RJ-45. Fedora 12 installed both drivers. I do not
not use bluetooth so I turned it off. It harms nothing and has a slight
theoretical gain in boot time and swap space used. I can't say I noticed a
difference. I doubt he has noticed an improvement but maybe so. I answered the
question asked.

Lots of things are always on that are not necessarily used. Look for mysqld
for example. These services are turned on for whatever your dozens of users
might have in mind. These distros do not have home users in mind.

And all of this brings up a gripe I am still formulating about the assumption
of many users in these distros. I don't really complain because I enjoy this
stuff. I just came across practice certification test and I can almost pass.
(Lots of people have said I am certifiable but I think they were talking about
something else.) After ten years of curious maybe I should be disappointed at
not passing but then I never did set up a new group of users nor think about
cross permissions at different supervisory levels and other absolute minimum
requirements. If there were no test questions for things so trivial ... ;)

--
Before the Gaza massacre Israel was given the benefit of the doubt.
With Gaza Israel removed all doubt.
From: Matt Giwer on
On 03/02/2010 08:11 AM, David Kerber wrote:
> In article<4b8ca6de$0$5119$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>, jull43
> @tampabay.rr.com says...
>> Lots of things are always on that are not necessarily used. Look
> for mysqld
>> for example. These services are turned on for whatever your dozens of users
>> might have in mind. These distros do not have home users in mind.

> That philosophy makes sense for server software like mysql, ftpd, etc.
> It doesn't make sense for bluetooth, which is tied to hardware and is
> very short range even when the hardware is installed.

Please explain the sense of having a bluetooth driver loaded when bluetooth
is not used.

--
The threshold of atrocity is 6,000,000 - 1.
The threshold of atrocity is six million minus one.