From: Toni on
Yes, I read about MS moving all the newsgroup discussions to their online forums. Their
forums suck.

From msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups, I could post a quick question in an emergency and
get an informed, accurate answer in a few hours. I could help others and get a nice
"thank you".

I've tried Microsoft's confusing online newsgroups and I've never gotten an answer to
any query, ever. As an experiment, I asked a simple, stupid question about Excel
just to see what kind of an answer I'd get. No answer. It's tough enough just trying to
find the correct forum to post in.

Microsoft, PLEASE go back to doing what made you successful.

Greatly Disappointed,

Toni

From: Bob Barrows on
Toni wrote:
> Yes, I read about MS moving all the newsgroup discussions to their
> online forums. Their forums suck.
>
> From msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups, I could post a quick question
> in an emergency and get an informed, accurate answer in a few hours.
> I could help others and get a nice "thank you".

You still can. See?
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Toni on
"Bob Barrows" wrote...
> Toni wrote:
>> Yes, I read about MS moving all the newsgroup discussions to their
>> online forums. Their forums suck.
>>
>> From msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups, I could post a quick question
>> in an emergency and get an informed, accurate answer in a few hours.
>> I could help others and get a nice "thank you".
>>
> You still can. See?
> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows

And here is a nice "thank you"! At least, until MS takes down this ASP newsgroup.

Bob, can you recommend a newsgroup or forum that I can go to for Windows XP help?

From: Bob Barrows on
Toni wrote:
> "Bob Barrows" wrote...
>> Toni wrote:
>>> Yes, I read about MS moving all the newsgroup discussions to their
>>> online forums. Their forums suck.
>>>
>>> From msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups, I could post a quick question
>>> in an emergency and get an informed, accurate answer in a few hours.
>>> I could help others and get a nice "thank you".
>>>
>> You still can. See?
>
> And here is a nice "thank you"! At least, until MS takes down this
> ASP newsgroup.

They can't. All they can do is remove the group from their news server.
Newsgroups get mirrored in news servers around the world. MS can request
that the group be removed from other servers, but there is no obligation
for them to do so, which means: for the foreseeable future, the
microsoft.public hierarchy will remain usable from other news servers. I
have switched to using eternal-september for my news server
(www.eternal-september.org, I think - google it), and all the MS
newsgroups are still here, even after MS dropped them from the msnews
server.

> Bob, can you recommend a newsgroup or forum that I can go to for
> Windows XP help?

Sorry, I can't. I use google for all operating issues I have. Never had
to post in a forum or newsgroup. Also, any recommendation for a forum or
newsgroup would depend on the type of issue you are having: networking?
malware? hardware incompatibility?
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows