From: Robert L. Oldershaw on

Oh dear, "high-energy" physicists cannot seem to find another piece of
their Ptolemaic puzzle.

Before it was, ta-da, the mythical "magnetic monopoles". TOTAL NO
SHOW.

And of course there was the, ta-da, mythical "free quarks". TOTAL NO
SHOW.

Now after searching high and low all over the barnyard, the mythical
"Higgsy pig" is nowhere to be found. Well maybe Higgsy pig is hiding
under the, ahhh, mud in the pig sty.

See: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3073#comments ,
or search on "Higgs Bozo".

An interesting question is whether the devotees of the Substandard
Model would ever dare to question the basic assumptions of their
faith. Or is the search for the mythical particles an endless fool's
errand?

Would they ever consider the infinitely simpler concept of discrete
self-similar scaling for gravitation? Probably not, since it is a
scientifically testable paradigm, and would reqiure them to question
their faith. We have seen no evidence for a willngness to do that in
the last 75 years.

I'll bet that with many billions of $, and 100s of careers, sunk into
the fool's errand, someone at CERN will have an unscheduled lower
intestinal tract event and the resulting vibrations will be called
"the unmistakable signature of the Higgsy pig snorting through one of
the detectors, with exactly the frequency of snorting we predicted".

Another Grand Victory for our intrepid Ptolemaic wizards.

RLO
www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw

From: PD on
On Jul 27, 10:58 am, "Robert L. Oldershaw" <rlolders...(a)amherst.edu>
wrote:
> Oh dear, "high-energy" physicists cannot seem to find another piece of
> their Ptolemaic puzzle.
>
> Before it was, ta-da, the mythical "magnetic monopoles".  TOTAL NO
> SHOW.
>
> And of course there was the, ta-da, mythical "free quarks".  TOTAL NO
> SHOW.
>
> Now after searching high and low all over the barnyard, the mythical
> "Higgsy pig" is nowhere to be found.  Well maybe Higgsy pig is hiding
> under the, ahhh, mud in the pig sty.
>
> See:http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3073#comments,
> or search on "Higgs Bozo".
>
> An interesting question is whether the devotees of the Substandard
> Model would ever dare to question the basic assumptions of their
> faith.  Or is the search for the mythical particles an endless fool's
> errand?
>
> Would they ever consider the infinitely simpler concept of discrete
> self-similar scaling for gravitation?  Probably not, since it is a
> scientifically testable paradigm, and would reqiure them to question
> their faith.  We have seen no evidence for a willngness to do that in
> the last 75 years.
>
> I'll bet that with many billions of $, and 100s of careers,  sunk into
> the fool's errand, someone at CERN will have an unscheduled lower
> intestinal tract event and the resulting vibrations will be called
> "the unmistakable signature of the Higgsy pig snorting through one of
> the detectors, with exactly the frequency of snorting we predicted".
>
> Another Grand Victory for our intrepid Ptolemaic wizards.
>
> RLOwww.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw

Let's get a couple things corrected for the record.
1. The current laws of electrodynamics do not predict a magnetic
monopole. Testing the current laws is of interest, and the customary
way to test them is to ask what would happen if they were wrong. One
implication of the laws being wrong would be the appearance of a
magnetic monopole. This is scientifically interesting to see if the
laws are wrong. No magnetic monopole has been found to date, giving
credence that the current laws of electrodynamics are not wrong.

2. The current laws of chromodynamics do not predict a free quark.
Testing the current laws is of interest, and the customary way to test
them is to ask what would happen if they were wrong. One implication
of the laws being wrong would be the appearance of a free quark. This
is scientifically interesting to see if the laws are wrong. No free
quark has been found to date, giving credence that the current laws of
chromodynamics are not wrong.

3. The Higgs boson has NOT been searched for all over the barnyard. In
fact, the recent results show that it has been searched for only over
about 25% of the barnyard. In particular, if you actually READ the
announcement about the search, you'd see that the range from 158-175
GeV has been looked at and excluded. Heck, don't bother with words if
pictures work better for you:
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/images/higgs-20100726/TevatronHiggsLimitsJuly2010_mr.jpg
What you've foamed about is tantamount to watching somebody look for
something that is in one of 50 boxes in the attic, and after they've
looked through 12 boxes you crow, "See? I TOLD you it's not up here!"

Now, as far as your general complaint about how money is spent, you
say that investment is not being put into exploration that challenges
the status quo. I just pointed out to you that searches for free
quarks and for magnetic monopoles ARE searches that challenge the
status quo. What you are REALLY whining about is wanting funding for
YOUR challenge to the status quo. You have the same vehicles as
everyone else. Develop it into a theory that makes some definite
predictions and publish it. Or write a grant proposal to fund an
experiment. Recruit collaborators.
From: eric gisse on
Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:

> Oh dear, "high-energy" physicists cannot seem to find another piece of
> their Ptolemaic puzzle.
>
> Before it was, ta-da, the mythical "magnetic monopoles". TOTAL NO
> SHOW.

No aspect of modern physics predicts magnetic monopoles.

Stop making things up.

> And of course there was the, ta-da, mythical "free quarks". TOTAL NO
> SHOW.

QCD does not predict free quarks.

Stop making things up.

> Now after searching high and low all over the barnyard, the mythical
> "Higgsy pig" is nowhere to be found. Well maybe Higgsy pig is hiding
> under the, ahhh, mud in the pig sty.
>
> See: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3073#comments ,
> or search on "Higgs Bozo".
>
> An interesting question is whether the devotees of the Substandard
> Model would ever dare to question the basic assumptions of their
> faith. Or is the search for the mythical particles an endless fool's
> errand?

Continued childish behavior towards a scientific theory noted. Grow the hell
up, Robert.

[snip rest]
From: BURT on
On Jul 27, 5:17 am, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
>
> > Oh dear, "high-energy" physicists cannot seem to find another piece of
> > their Ptolemaic puzzle.
>
> > Before it was, ta-da, the mythical "magnetic monopoles".  TOTAL NO
> > SHOW.
>
> No aspect of modern physics predicts magnetic monopoles.
>
> Stop making things up.
>

> > And of course there was the, ta-da, mythical "free quarks".  TOTAL NO
> > SHOW.
>
> QCD does not predict free quarks.
>
> Stop making things up.
>

> > Now after searching high and low all over the barnyard, the mythical
> > "Higgsy pig" is nowhere to be found.  Well maybe Higgsy pig is hiding
> > under the, ahhh, mud in the pig sty.
>
> > See:http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3073#comments,
> > or search on "Higgs Bozo".
>
> > An interesting question is whether the devotees of the Substandard
> > Model would ever dare to question the basic assumptions of their
> > faith.  Or is the search for the mythical particles an endless fool's
> > errand?
>
> Continued childish behavior towards a scientific theory noted. Grow the hell
> up, Robert.
>
> [snip rest]

The Higgs particle is science's excuse for a creation of mass that
can only come from God at the beginning of time. God does not need a
phenomenon to create.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Thomas Heger on
Robert L. Oldershaw schrieb:
> Oh dear, "high-energy" physicists cannot seem to find another piece of
> their Ptolemaic puzzle.
>
> Before it was, ta-da, the mythical "magnetic monopoles". TOTAL NO
> SHOW.
>
> And of course there was the, ta-da, mythical "free quarks". TOTAL NO
> SHOW.
>
> Now after searching high and low all over the barnyard, the mythical
> "Higgsy pig" is nowhere to be found. Well maybe Higgsy pig is hiding
> under the, ahhh, mud in the pig sty.
>
> See: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3073#comments ,
> or search on "Higgs Bozo".
>
> An interesting question is whether the devotees of the Substandard
> Model would ever dare to question the basic assumptions of their
> faith. Or is the search for the mythical particles an endless fool's
> errand?
>
> Would they ever consider the infinitely simpler concept of discrete
> self-similar scaling for gravitation? Probably not, since it is a
> scientifically testable paradigm, and would reqiure them to question
> their faith. We have seen no evidence for a willngness to do that in
> the last 75 years.
>
> I'll bet that with many billions of $, and 100s of careers, sunk into
> the fool's errand, someone at CERN will have an unscheduled lower
> intestinal tract event and the resulting vibrations will be called
> "the unmistakable signature of the Higgsy pig snorting through one of
> the detectors, with exactly the frequency of snorting we predicted".
>
> Another Grand Victory for our intrepid Ptolemaic wizards.

To me the LHC is a potentially dangerous device. Not mainly, but the way
it is used makes it a large potential thread to its environment. If they
successfully create an 'energy-bubble', that could dominate the
environment around, than they have something, they certainly do not want.

So they should rethink their doings and observe the results they get. To
my understanding it would be enough, to let the experiment kind of 'cool
down' from time to time and the bubble disappear.

Than I agree to your point of view in general. I personally think, the
entire particle concept is wrong. This is why they will not find the
Higgs or single quarks.
Actually not entirely wrong, but particles are not 'real'.

TH

TH

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5