From: Larry Lindstrom on
Hi Folks:

I've been using Visual Studio 2008 Pro for the last couple of years,
and always thought of it as a full featured product.

Last week I added a Win7 Ultimate/64 boot partition. I don't need
64 bits, but I'd like to be able to use more memory.

I then installed VS 2008 Pro, taking the time to actually look at
the EULA, which I interpret as allowing only one use at a time, which I
believe allows me to install it in the Win7/64 partition while keeping
it in my XP partition in the same machine.

I expected VS 2008 Pro, installed in a 64 bit environment, to offer
a method to specify a 64 bit build. I haven't found anything like that.

I don't need to build 64 bit apps right now, but I'm wondering about
my options.

Can I build 64 bit apps with VS 2008 Pro? How about VS 2010 Pro?

Thanks
Larry

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 31.05.2010 19:30, schrieb Larry Lindstrom:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I've been using Visual Studio 2008 Pro for the last couple of years,
> and always thought of it as a full featured product.
>
> Last week I added a Win7 Ultimate/64 boot partition. I don't need
> 64 bits, but I'd like to be able to use more memory.
>
> I then installed VS 2008 Pro, taking the time to actually look at
> the EULA, which I interpret as allowing only one use at a time, which I
> believe allows me to install it in the Win7/64 partition while keeping
> it in my XP partition in the same machine.
>
> I expected VS 2008 Pro, installed in a 64 bit environment, to offer
> a method to specify a 64 bit build. I haven't found anything like that.
>
> I don't need to build 64 bit apps right now, but I'm wondering about
> my options.
>
> Can I build 64 bit apps with VS 2008 Pro? How about VS 2010 Pro?

You didn't specify which language. In VB.Net (and probably also C#), you
just have to enter the configuration manager and add a new configuration
targetting a 64-bit plattform, or use "Any CPU". You don't need VS 2010
for this.

--
Armin
From: Larry Lindstrom on
On May 31, 11:04 am, Armin Zingler <az.nos...(a)freenet.de> wrote:
> Am 31.05.2010 19:30, schrieb Larry Lindstrom:
>

> > Hi Folks:

< Snip >

> >     Can I build 64 bit apps with VS 2008 Pro?  How about VS 2010 Pro?
>
> You didn't specify which language. In VB.Net (and probably also C#), you
> just have to enter the configuration manager and add a new configuration
> targetting a 64-bit plattform, or use "Any CPU". You don't need VS 2010
> for this.

Thank you Armin:

I'm developing C++ code.

That works great.

Larry

From: Arny on

On 31.05.2010 21:15, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
> On May 31, 11:04 am, Armin Zingler<az.nos...(a)freenet.de> wrote:
>> Am 31.05.2010 19:30, schrieb Larry Lindstrom:
>>

>>> Hi Folks:
>>
> < Snip>
>>
>>> Can I build 64 bit apps with VS 2008 Pro? How about VS 2010 Pro?
>>
>> You didn't specify which language. In VB.Net (and probably also C#), you
>> just have to enter the configuration manager and add a new configuration
>> targetting a 64-bit plattform, or use "Any CPU". You don't need VS 2010
>> for this.
>
> Thank you Armin:
>
> I'm developing C++ code.
>
> That works great.
>
> Larry

For C++ projects, follow the steps on this site:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tolong/archive/2007/03/21/use-visual-studio-to-build-64-bit-application.aspx

Remember that the 64bit compiler isn't installed by default.

- RaZ
From: Richard on

Arny <skara(a)stud.ntnu.no> spake the secret code
<hu1e6k$bge$1(a)orkan.itea.ntnu.no> thusly:

>Remember that the 64bit compiler isn't installed by default.

I think its installed by default in VS 2010.