From: George N. White III on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, RPS wrote:

> What is the best port of Gnu Emacs to Mac OSX? Ideally, I would like to
> have a setup in which I can select between these choices-
>
> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal

If the version that Apple provides is too old, macports provides a recent
version.

> (2) GUI version from an icon in the dock

Aquamacs
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen on
+ Warren Oates <warren.oates(a)gmail.com>:

> In article <090820100933025461%rps(a)null.void>, RPS <rps(a)null.void>
> wrote:
>
>> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal
>
> Download and build your own. Works fine here.
>
> <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs>
>
> Latest version is 23.2 it seems.

You can build it as a native Mac application:

../configure --with-ns
make
make install

after which you find Emacs.app in the nextstep subdirectory.

> You used to be able to get development releases from Savannah, but
> they seem to have choked that off. I love emacs, but the cult
> surrounding it is a bit nutty.

The development source is currently kept available in a bazaar repository.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

--
* Harald Hanche-Olsen <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
-- Bertrand Russell
From: Xah Lee on
On Aug 9, 7:33 am, RPS <r...(a)null.void> wrote:
> What is the best port of Gnu Emacs to Mac OSX? Ideally, I would like to
> have a setup in which I can select between these choices-
>
> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal
>
> (2) GUI version from an icon in the dock
>
> Thanks.

i wrote about this i think answers your question.

• Which Emacs to Download for Windows and Mac?
http://xahlee.org/emacs/which_emacs.html

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Geico Caveman on
On 2010-08-09 09:33:02 -0500, RPS <rps(a)null.void> said:

> What is the best port of Gnu Emacs to Mac OSX? Ideally, I would like to
> have a setup in which I can select between these choices-
>
> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal
>
> (2) GUI version from an icon in the dock
>
> Thanks.

The two main ports are Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs. I have used the
latter. It worked fairly well, and added mac keystrokes to the existing
emacs set.

I have no experience with Carbon Emacs. Try and see.