From: RPS on
What is the best port of Gnu Emacs to Mac OSX? Ideally, I would like to
have a setup in which I can select between these choices-

(1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal

(2) GUI version from an icon in the dock

Thanks.
From: Warren Oates on
In article <090820100933025461%rps(a)null.void>, RPS <rps(a)null.void>
wrote:

> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal

Download and build your own. Works fine here.

<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs>

Latest version is 23.2 it seems.

You used to be able to get development releases from Savannah, but they
seem to have choked that off. I love emacs, but the cult surrounding it
is a bit nutty.

> 2) GUI version from an icon in the dock

There's a few of these. Personally, for the Mac, I prefer TextEdit or
Bean. or, even, gawdhepus, the plain-text mode in Word. Emacs is a
terminal application, at least for me.
--
Very old woody beets will never cook tender.
-- Fannie Farmer
From: RPS on
> Personally, for the Mac, I prefer TextEdit or
> Bean. or, even, gawdhepus, the plain-text mode in Word. Emacs is a
> terminal application, at least for me.

For consistency I like to work with one editor which for me is emacs;
that way I develop good reliable habits. (If I receive a Word document
and need to edit it, that's obviously a special case. I am talking
about situations where I have a reasonable choice of editors.)

Once I am inside of an emacs window, it doesn't matter to me how I got
there. Commands like ^-v or e-> should work as usual. So what's the big
deal between invoking from Terminal and dock? Mainly that I like my
Terminal windows to be clean and spartan with most modern "enhanced
features" turned off. Maybe it is just nostalgia - as reminiscent of
old monochrome monitors and fixed fonts as possible. :) For a quick
editing I would prefer that. OTOH a full GUI window will likely have
lots of color support (codes in one color, TeX command in another, etc)
and other features, which are useful for complex documents.
From: AV3 on
On Aug/9/2010 10:3302 AM, RPS wrote:
> What is the best port of Gnu Emacs to Mac OSX? Ideally, I would like to
> have a setup in which I can select between these choices-
>
> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal
>
> (2) GUI version from an icon in the dock

I haven't used it in years, but there was a GUI version called Carbon
XEmacs. I notice in a cursory Google search that a supposedly helpful
website is a year out of date.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ(a)Wearthlink.net> ||
From: BreadWithSpam on
AV3 <arvimide(a)earthlink.net> writes:

>> (1) Old fashioned non GUI emacs in Terminal

You already have that. It comes standard on every Mac. Have you tried
it? Is there something wrong with it?

>> (2) GUI version from an icon in the dock

> I haven't used it in years, but there was a GUI version called Carbon
> XEmacs. I notice in a cursory Google search that a supposedly helpful
> website is a year out of date.

I've got a GUI version that's a couple of years old (okay, about 3 or 4
years) and it work fine, but I don't do much with it beyond just edit
files sometimes. 9 times out of 10, I'll just open emacs in a terminal.

There are a variety of OS X GUI variations of emacs, some stripped down
to mainly just the editor, some with all the additional bells and
whistles. You might try starting here to see what you like:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS