From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kir=E1ly?= on
Hello,

I'm trying to use the nano editor on my new iMac with 10.6.4. I can't
figure out how to get it to wrap long lines. I have tried what the man
page says to do to set nano to wrap long lines and nothing seems to work;
typing just contunies past the 80 columns of my Terminal window. I
didn't have this problem with 10.5.8.

Help, anyone?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
From: isw on
In article <KlV7o.10908$z%6.479(a)edtnps83>,
me(a)home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the nano editor on my new iMac with 10.6.4. I can't
> figure out how to get it to wrap long lines. I have tried what the man
> page says to do to set nano to wrap long lines and nothing seems to work;
> typing just contunies past the 80 columns of my Terminal window. I
> didn't have this problem with 10.5.8.
>
> Help, anyone?

Alternate suggestion: Get "TextWrangler" which is a very nice modern
"programmer's editor" and is free. It does word wrapping plus a whole
lot more. When you install it, there's an option to tell it to become
the default editor from Terminal, so when you type "edit foo" in
Terminal, "foo" opens in TextWrangler.

Isaac
From: Bob Harris on
In article <isw-3FF2F7.10452809082010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <KlV7o.10908$z%6.479(a)edtnps83>,
> me(a)home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to use the nano editor on my new iMac with 10.6.4. I can't
> > figure out how to get it to wrap long lines. I have tried what the man
> > page says to do to set nano to wrap long lines and nothing seems to work;
> > typing just contunies past the 80 columns of my Terminal window. I
> > didn't have this problem with 10.5.8.
> >
> > Help, anyone?
>
> Alternate suggestion: Get "TextWrangler" which is a very nice modern
> "programmer's editor" and is free. It does word wrapping plus a whole
> lot more. When you install it, there's an option to tell it to become
> the default editor from Terminal, so when you type "edit foo" in
> Terminal, "foo" opens in TextWrangler.
>
> Isaac

Also look at Fraise (a Smultron successor) - Snow Leopard or newer
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24012>

It is much easier to open hidden files than TextWrangler.
Fraise -> File -> Open Hidden...

TextWrangler is a very good GUI text editor. I've used it for
years.
From: nospam on
In article
<nospam.News.Bob-9D589A.20075709082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-NOT-dele
gated.example.com>, Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us>
wrote:

> Also look at Fraise (a Smultron successor) - Snow Leopard or newer
> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24012>
>
> It is much easier to open hidden files than TextWrangler.
> Fraise -> File -> Open Hidden...

how is that much easier than file->open hidden... in textwrangler?

> TextWrangler is a very good GUI text editor. I've used it for
> years.

it's fantastic, especially considering it's free.
From: Kiraly on
On Aug 9, 10:45 am, isw <i...(a)witzend.com> wrote:
> Alternate suggestion: Get "TextWrangler" which is a very nice modern
> "programmer's editor" and is free. It does word wrapping plus a whole
> lot more. When you install it, there's an option to tell it to become
> the default editor from Terminal, so when you type "edit foo" in
> Terminal, "foo" opens in TextWrangler.

The reason I want to fix nano is because I use it with tin to post to
Usenet. If I have to abandon nano and learn a new editor, I might as
well just abandon tin and learn a new newsreader. tin and nano are
like an old pair of slippers for me - ragged but oh so comfy.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.