From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
In comp.arch.fpga MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
(snip)

> It was not so much that I was concentratng on Linpack, We (shebanow
> and I) were trying to build a machine that could perform as if it were
> a vector machine on vectorizable codes (without vector instructions::
> i.e. native 88100 instructions at 6 per cycle) and also perform well
> on GCC-like spaghetti codes. Linpack (Matrix 300) was simply the
> vector code expample.

The 360/91 was also designed to perform well on non-vectorized code.
Well, on the code generated for other 360's. Among others is
loop mode where for a small enough loop it stops fetching
instructions from memory (they are in a special cache).
The goal was one instruction per cycle. (With 750ns core it
wasn't likely to do more than that.)

The 360/91 even had to handle self-modifying code, including
instructions that might have already been fetched. The IBM
Fortran library for OS/360 did use some self-modifying code.
(No recursion in Fortran 66 so it wasn't so hard to do.)

-- glen
From: Tim McCaffrey on
In article <hp87mm$s7m$1(a)naig.caltech.edu>, gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu says...

>In comp.arch.fpga MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> It was not so much that I was concentratng on Linpack, We (shebanow
>> and I) were trying to build a machine that could perform as if it were
>> a vector machine on vectorizable codes (without vector instructions::
>> i.e. native 88100 instructions at 6 per cycle) and also perform well
>> on GCC-like spaghetti codes. Linpack (Matrix 300) was simply the
>> vector code expample.
>
>The 360/91 was also designed to perform well on non-vectorized code.
>Well, on the code generated for other 360's. Among others is
>loop mode where for a small enough loop it stops fetching
>instructions from memory (they are in a special cache).
>The goal was one instruction per cycle. (With 750ns core it
>wasn't likely to do more than that.)

Must have got that idea from the CDC 6600.

>The 360/91 even had to handle self-modifying code, including
>instructions that might have already been fetched. The IBM
>Fortran library for OS/360 did use some self-modifying code.
>(No recursion in Fortran 66 so it wasn't so hard to do.)

SMC was not allowed in the CDC instruction stack (i.e. non-coherent cache).

- Tim