From: Aahz on
In article <i06cju$qqa$2(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>In message <mailman.2123.1277522976.32709.python-list(a)python.org>, Tim Chase
>wrote:
>>
>> On 06/25/2010 07:49 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>I see that you published my unobfuscated e-mail address on USENET for all to
>see. I obfuscated it for a reason, to keep the spammers away. I'm assuming
>this was a momentary lapse of judgement, for which I expect an apology.
>Otherwise, it becomes grounds for an abuse complaint to your ISP.

You are double daft. First, I completely disagree with you about it
being abuse; from my POV anyone posting to Usenet should do so with an
unobfuscated address. Secondly, you are wrong about Tim publishing your
address unless you intended to follow up to a completely different post,
and you owe *him* an apology for a false accusation.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Chris Rebert on
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <> wrote:
> In message <mailman.2123.1277522976.32709.python-list(a)python.org>, Tim Chase
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/25/2010 07:49 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> I see that you published my unobfuscated e-mail address on USENET for all to
> see. I obfuscated it for a reason, to keep the spammers away. I'm assuming
> this was a momentary lapse of judgement, for which I expect an apology.
> Otherwise, it becomes grounds for an abuse complaint to your ISP.

Will you give it a rest already with these threatening messages? Why
are you still using this only-partially-obfuscated address with USENET
anyway? This has happened twice before, it will doubtless happen yet
again. Just use an /entirely invalid/ From address like some other
posters do.

I can't believe you have a form letter for this...

Regards,
Chris
--
Public addresses eventually going bad is a *fact of life*; plan ahead
accordingly.
From: Tim Chase on
> In message<mailman.2123.1277522976.32709.python-list(a)python.org>, Tim Chase
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/25/2010 07:49 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> I see that you published my unobfuscated e-mail address on USENET for all to
> see. I obfuscated it for a reason, to keep the spammers away. I'm assuming
> this was a momentary lapse of judgement, for which I expect an apology.
> Otherwise, it becomes grounds for an abuse complaint to your ISP.

I'm sorry...you've got your knickers in a knot? That your spam
filters seem to be insufficient? That you don't have a custom
throwaway address for such public dialogs? For preventing an
"undeliverable" bounce message that your bogus address would have
caused (if your mail provider is RFC-compliant; though your mail
provider may kindly be breaking RFC by disabling "undeliverable"

Is the abuse charge "waah, he replied to my actual email rather
than the false one I spoofed"?

I'm not sure an abuse complaint to my ISP would net you anything
since the exact out-bound headers show nothing abusive, only the
correcting of an invalid TLD to prevent a bounce (and a distinct
lack of USENET references in the original message that went to
you and CC'ed python-list(a)python.org).

Having regularly used python.list(a)tim.thechases.com unobfuscated
for easily over 5 years, the spam to this address has been almost
negligible (or so effectively dealt with by Thunderbird's spam
filters that I've never noticed it).

-tkc

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <pan.2010.06.26.11.04.22.328000(a)nowhere.com>, Nobody wrote:

> Ask anyone with a surname like O'Neil, O'Connor, O'Leary, etc; they've
> probably broken a lot of web apps *without even trying*.

Last I checked, I couldn't post comments on freedom-to-tinker.com.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <roy-854954.20435125062010(a)news.panix.com>, Roy Smith wrote:

> I recently fixed a bug in some production code. The programmer was
> careful to use snprintf() to avoid buffer overflows. The only problem
> is, he wrote something along the lines of:
>
> snprintf(buf, strlen(foo), foo);

A long while ago I came up with this macro:

#define Descr(v) &v, sizeof v

making the correct version of the above become

snprintf(Descr(buf), foo);