From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> Erik Troan [has written on a web log]
>
>> Can you imagine if the architect had to write a detailed list of
>> instructions describing how to build a building? Down to what kind of
>> screws to use to hold up the drywall and what kind of drill should be
>> used to put them in place?

I don't need to imagine that. I just built a piece of furniture from a
flat pack, and the instructions were in that very form. There was a
picture of the fully-built item, and step-by-step instructions, that did
indeed detail exactly which kinds of screws went where, leading up to
it. If one is going to argue by analogy, instead of arguing on an
item's own merits, then one had better make sure that the analogy
actually holds up. My guess is that M. Troan doesn't do much D-I-Y. (-:

Of course arguing that one should just be able to present a model to a
computer and merely tell the computer "go and make that", is rather
missing the fact that despite decades of research, we still haven't
invented artificial intelligence yet. The computers that we do have
still have to be told, by someone at some point and at some level,
step-by-step what to do. Script languages are some of the many
languages that computer programmers use to do this.

From: Nick Keighley on
On 1 May, 05:28, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-
newsgro...(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote:
> > Erik Troan [has written on a web log]

> >> Can you imagine if the architect had to write a detailed list of
> >> instructions describing how to build a building? Down to what kind of
> >> screws to use to hold up the drywall and what kind of drill should be
> >> used to put them in place?

this actually seems like a very good analogy for a script. The
Architect just has to say "erect wall here". The builder then has to
issue more detailed instructions "erect a wall here of
"drywall" [plasterboard?] X mm thick." The craftsman that does the job
will have been taught what "erect a drywall" means down to what screws
to use etc. When I open a file I don't normally consider all the
sheenanigans going on in the device driver.

> I don't need to imagine that.  I just built a piece of furniture from a
> flat pack, and the instructions were in that very form.  There was a
> picture of the fully-built item, and step-by-step instructions, that did
> indeed detail exactly which kinds of screws went where, leading up to
> it.  If one is going to argue by analogy, instead of arguing on an
> item's own merits, then one had better make sure that the analogy
> actually holds up.

was troan arguing that scripting is like specifying minute detail, or
not?

Nick Keighley

buildings aren't Ikea furniture.

> My guess is that M. Troan doesn't do much D-I-Y.  (-:

flatpack furniture is DIY?! Hell, I can do that! And I'm ambi-
sinisterous.

> Of course arguing that one should just be able to present a model to a
> computer and merely tell the computer "go and make that", is rather
> missing the fact that despite decades of research, we still haven't
> invented artificial intelligence yet.  The computers that we do have
> still have to be told, by someone at some point and at some level,
> step-by-step what to do.

yes, but it doesn't have to be the end-user. Take a look a functional
languages they may be better tahn you think.