From: Bob Levine on
"Keith" <keithtucaz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I noted that the jump from the Core i7 920 to thenext llevel is much more
> expensive than the retail difference for those two chips.
>
> Until the pricing gets more 'normal', I will be holding off on a purchase

Me, too. I built a machine myself two years ago around a Q6600.

This is the longest I can ever remember going without thinking about
upgrading hardware.

Bob

From: Daddy on
Bob Levine wrote:
> "Keith" <keithtucaz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I noted that the jump from the Core i7 920 to thenext llevel is much
>> more expensive than the retail difference for those two chips.
>>
>> Until the pricing gets more 'normal', I will be holding off on a purchase
>
> Me, too. I built a machine myself two years ago around a Q6600.
>
> This is the longest I can ever remember going without thinking about
> upgrading hardware.
>
> Bob

I don't buy a new computer every two years. My next computer will last 4
or 5 years. Who knows what software interests I'll develop during that
time? As for upgrade-ability: I have found it easier to upgrade hardware
nearer to the beginning of its technology cycle.

I'm not arguing with you, just explaining why I don't want Core 2 and
compatible motherboard in my next computer.

Daddy
From: Bob Levine on
"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> I don't buy a new computer every two years. My next computer will last 4
> or 5 years. Who knows what software interests I'll develop during that
> time? As for upgrade-ability: I have found it easier to upgrade hardware
> nearer to the beginning of its technology cycle.
>
> I'm not arguing with you, just explaining why I don't want Core 2 and
> compatible motherboard in my next computer.

For someone with average needs, there's really no big need to upgrade
hardware very often. In the graphic design field there has been....until
now.

There would be very little benefit to me in buying a new processor, mobo and
RAM. A clean install of Win 7 a few weeks back has left me a nice speedy
machine.

Bob

From: Daddy on
Bob Levine wrote:
> "Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> I don't buy a new computer every two years. My next computer will last
>> 4 or 5 years. Who knows what software interests I'll develop during
>> that time? As for upgrade-ability: I have found it easier to upgrade
>> hardware nearer to the beginning of its technology cycle.
>>
>> I'm not arguing with you, just explaining why I don't want Core 2 and
>> compatible motherboard in my next computer.
>
> For someone with average needs, there's really no big need to upgrade
> hardware very often. In the graphic design field there has been....until
> now.
>
> There would be very little benefit to me in buying a new processor, mobo
> and RAM. A clean install of Win 7 a few weeks back has left me a nice
> speedy machine.
>
> Bob

This will probably be my last pre-built desktop. It's nothing against
Dell...and I'll almost certainly pay more by assembling my own rig. In
my case, I'll be building for the fun of it and for the pride. It wasn't
that long ago that the very idea of adding RAM terrified me. I still
have some stuff to learn before I can get started, but good information
is much more accessible now than it was just a few years ago.

Daddy
From: Bob Levine on

> This will probably be my last pre-built desktop. It's nothing against
> Dell...and I'll almost certainly pay more by assembling my own rig. In my
> case, I'll be building for the fun of it and for the pride. It wasn't that
> long ago that the very idea of adding RAM terrified me. I still have some
> stuff to learn before I can get started, but good information is much more
> accessible now than it was just a few years ago.
>
> Daddy

The feeling you get after assembling everything, plugging it in and hitting
the power button for the first time is amazing and it's really not all that
hard to do.

Bob