From: Rudolf Harras on
For transfering things to a 1571 or C64 DTV etc. you always need the
parallel printer port as well for making a connector for C64 joysticks.

Problem is that many computers don't have a printer port nowadays and if
they have they are not always compatible to the C64 cables.

Why are there no USB adapters? Is it so much more difficult to create them?
From: Robert Roland on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:33:41 +0200, Rudolf Harras
<rudi007(a)temporaryforwarding.com> wrote:

>Why are there no USB adapters? Is it so much more difficult to create them?

Yes, it is much more difficult. Also, it is very different, so the
development work has to start from essentially scratch.

There is development work going on, and there are even reasonably
working prototypes.

There is one project named XU1541. It has been abandoned, but it seems
enough information and software exists to get it working.

Another project named XUM1541 is still being developed. It aims to be
more versatile than the XU1541, by supporting fastloaders and parallel
transfers. Beta firmware and software is publicly available, but I
don't think you can buy ready-made hardware yet.
--
RoRo
From: Anssi Saari on
Robert Roland <fake(a)ddress.no> writes:

> There is one project named XU1541. It has been abandoned, but it seems
> enough information and software exists to get it working.

Yes, I built one. It's slow, but works. I had access to a STK500 board
to program the microcontroller back then, so no problems getting it
going.

From: Leif Bloomquist on
"Rudolf Harras" <rudi007(a)temporaryforwarding.com> wrote in message

> For transfering things to a 1571 or C64 DTV etc. you always need the
> parallel printer port as well for making a connector for C64 joysticks.
>
> Problem is that many computers don't have a printer port nowadays and if
> they have they are not always compatible to the C64 cables.
>
> Why are there no USB adapters? Is it so much more difficult to create
> them?

You can buy the XU1541 USB Adaptor here:
http://www.commodore16.com/index.php/component/content/article/70-upgrades-a-mods/335-xu1541.html

From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
Hello Robert,

Robert Roland schrieb:

> There is one project named XU1541. It has been abandoned,

Who tells you it has been abandoned? Its sources have been fully
integrated into OpenCBM, and I have been working on it with Till, the
original developer of the hard- and software, and I have been working on
it since Till abandoned it.

Thus, it is not dead: http://www.trikaliotis.net/xu1541

But in the long run, the XUM1541 might be a better alternative.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis http://opencbm.sf.net/