From: Terry R. on
On 10/30/2009 9:52 AM On a whim, Kelvin pounded out on the keyboard

> I need to map a drive to a local share for users that are off the network.
> net use p: \\ComputerName\ShareName
>
> I can map this if the user is connected to the network, but if I unplug the
> laptop, I get this error "system error 1231 has occurred. the network
> location cannot be reached".
>
> What do I need to do to be able to map this drive when the user is off the
> network?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,

You have to be connected and able to access the drive to map it.

So use a batch file to test for the existence of the drive and proceed
to map if it exists and exit without attempting if it doesn't. Then you
won't get any error messages.

Terry R.
From: John John - MVP on
That's like pulling the cable wire out of the TV and then wondering why
it is that you can't receive any cable channels...

John

From: John John - MVP on
Given his explanation the response was to be expected:

"With the eithernet cable attached to the laptop I can map the cable
fine. Without doing anything else, if I just pull the plug from the
laptop, the drive becomes unavailable."

Louis had the answer, his crystal ball is clearer than mine today...

John

From: Bruce Chambers on
Kelvin wrote:
> Sorry, not sure I follow.
>
> With the eithernet cable attached to the laptop I can map the cable fine.
> Without doing anything else, if I just pull the plug from the laptop, the
> drive becomes unavailable.
> "P: is not accessible" is the error when I click on the drive.
> I plug the cable back in, wait a few second and the drive is there
> (accessible) again.

All perfectly normal.

> I'm thinking there's a service or something that needs to be installed for
> this to work when it's off the network...

It CAN'T work when it's 'off the network." I don't even understand how
you could possibly expect to connect to a network share if the computer
isn't connected. The very concept makes no sense.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
amdrit wrote:
> That is just a silly response. If he were trying to connect to an external
> resource, your barb would apply.

No, it's still apt.

> He is connecting locally...

No, he's not even trying to connect locally if he's using a Net command.