From: Frank Rizzo on
Using Outlook 2007 with an Exchange Server. The email is server-side.

I am trying to setup a server-side rule, but if I decide to mark the
message read-only, Outlook forces the rule to be client-side. I'd like
my rules to be server-side. Anyway of getting around that?

What am I missing?
From: Frank Rizzo on
On 1/27/2010 2:38 PM, Roady [MVP] wrote:
> That action is not available for server-side use.
> If possible, you can split up the rule so that one part of the action is
> taken server-side and the mark as read action is done client side.

Any idea why that would be the case? It sounds like marking item
read-only could be a server side action.

> If you were only to access your mailbox via Outlook, then the fact being
> it a client side rule doesn't matter since the rule will be executed
> directly when you open up Outlook and will also be stored on the server.

I also hit the email with the iPhone.
From: VanguardLH on
Frank Rizzo wrote:

> Using Outlook 2007 with an Exchange Server. The email is server-side.
>
> I am trying to setup a server-side rule, but if I decide to mark the
> message read-only, Outlook forces the rule to be client-side. I'd like
> my rules to be server-side. Anyway of getting around that?
>
> What am I missing?

The mail server doesn't care if you have read an e-mail or not. It is
delivering e-mails to you, not figuring out how you want them managed in
your *local* e-mail client. Marked-as-read is an attribute you want for
displaying an item in the local e-mail client, nothing to do with the
storage of the item up on the server.

If you add clauses to your rule which are effected or whose scope only makes
sense within the e-mail client itself then they will be local rules. Remove
the mark-as-read clause if you want those rules to be server-side rules.
From: Frank Rizzo on
On 1/27/2010 3:56 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Frank Rizzo wrote:
>
>> Using Outlook 2007 with an Exchange Server. The email is server-side.
>>
>> I am trying to setup a server-side rule, but if I decide to mark the
>> message read-only, Outlook forces the rule to be client-side. I'd like
>> my rules to be server-side. Anyway of getting around that?
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> The mail server doesn't care if you have read an e-mail or not. It is
> delivering e-mails to you, not figuring out how you want them managed in
> your *local* e-mail client. Marked-as-read is an attribute you want for
> displaying an item in the local e-mail client, nothing to do with the
> storage of the item up on the server.

I disagree. Follow this scenario:

1. 5 message is received.
2. iPhone beeps. I open 1 of those 5 emails on the iPhone.
3. 10 minutes later, I open Outlook, it loads the mail. One of the 5
messages is already marked read.

Clearly this happened on the server. Thus your point is wrong.

Regards