From: Salmon Egg on
Often, I have a window pop up asking for my password for accounts that
have gone off-line for no apparent reason. I just go to the Mailbox menu
and put all accounts back on line without reentering a password. What
causes the account to go off-line? It usually happens when I have used
another application and go back to Mail.

Bill

--
As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has merit.
From: Andy Hewitt on
Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Often, I have a window pop up asking for my password for accounts that
> have gone off-line for no apparent reason. I just go to the Mailbox menu
> and put all accounts back on line without reentering a password. What
> causes the account to go off-line? It usually happens when I have used
> another application and go back to Mail.

It's usually caused by a server fault, Mail can't connect, so it goes
offline. If you just cancel the dialogue it'll just reconnect later, or
just click on the triangle to reconnect immediately.

Yahoo is notoriously bad for this, and I see it going offline almost
daily.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <1j9qa04.1qeu2bszq3pwkN%thewildrover(a)me.com>,
thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Often, I have a window pop up asking for my password for accounts that
> > have gone off-line for no apparent reason. I just go to the Mailbox menu
> > and put all accounts back on line without reentering a password. What
> > causes the account to go off-line? It usually happens when I have used
> > another application and go back to Mail.
>
> It's usually caused by a server fault, Mail can't connect, so it goes
> offline. If you just cancel the dialogue it'll just reconnect later, or
> just click on the triangle to reconnect immediately.
>
> Yahoo is notoriously bad for this, and I see it going offline almost
> daily.

It would be much better if Mail would simply give up and try again later
*without* changing the status though.

JR
From: Tom Harrington on
In article <jollyroger-D09A83.08052325112009(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <1j9qa04.1qeu2bszq3pwkN%thewildrover(a)me.com>,
> thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
>
> > Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Often, I have a window pop up asking for my password for accounts that
> > > have gone off-line for no apparent reason. I just go to the Mailbox menu
> > > and put all accounts back on line without reentering a password. What
> > > causes the account to go off-line? It usually happens when I have used
> > > another application and go back to Mail.
> >
> > It's usually caused by a server fault, Mail can't connect, so it goes
> > offline. If you just cancel the dialogue it'll just reconnect later, or
> > just click on the triangle to reconnect immediately.
> >
> > Yahoo is notoriously bad for this, and I see it going offline almost
> > daily.
>
> It would be much better if Mail would simply give up and try again later
> *without* changing the status though.

I always advocated clicking "cancel" and trying again, but since Snow
Leopard this doesn't seem to work as well. It's as if Mail has decided
it doesn't know the password and won't try connecting again until I
retype it. Has anyone else seen a change in this behavior with 10.6?

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: Andy Hewitt on
Tom Harrington <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-D09A83.08052325112009(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1j9qa04.1qeu2bszq3pwkN%thewildrover(a)me.com>,
> > thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> > > It's usually caused by a server fault, Mail can't connect, so it goes
> > > offline. If you just cancel the dialogue it'll just reconnect later, or
> > > just click on the triangle to reconnect immediately.
> > >
> > > Yahoo is notoriously bad for this, and I see it going offline almost
> > > daily.
> >
> > It would be much better if Mail would simply give up and try again later
> > *without* changing the status though.
>
> I always advocated clicking "cancel" and trying again, but since Snow
> Leopard this doesn't seem to work as well. It's as if Mail has decided
> it doesn't know the password and won't try connecting again until I
> retype it. Has anyone else seen a change in this behavior with 10.6?

Yes, I don't get the dialogue at all, even though Yahoo fails every day.