From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
>> As I mentioned, I'm playing around with one HP22 cartridge where I
>> pried off the top and removed the sponges. If anyone else ever
>> wants to try that, at least make sure you reseal the top back on
>> thoroughly. Otherwise ink does tend to splash around and escape
>> from the cartridge, even in normal use.
>
> Yes, you have to seal the top, and it also depend on the design inside the
> cartridge. Or it would work better *if* there is/are rooms/chambers to
> reduce the gravity, pressure, as well as creating vacumm etc..
>
> Just like so many thing around us the gravity only be able to pull thing
> down if it become heavier than the air around it. And we have seen plane,
> sky, balloon flying in sky, the morning fog hanging on the leave etc..
>
> And with the Epson catridge (with no sponge) and with *both* holes opened,
> the ink won't spill out.

Thanks, Joel! In this case I'm dealing only with HP 22 tricolor
cartridges as made by (or for) HP. I can't redesign them, although
I can try modifying them -- as long as I'm willing to clean up any
mess afterward. :-)

Adam
From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
> Adam<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>> Thanks, Joel! In this case I'm dealing only with HP 22 tricolor
>> cartridges as made by (or for) HP. I can't redesign them, although
>> I can try modifying them -- as long as I'm willing to clean up any
>> mess afterward. :-)
>
> You are quite welcome! and I know you more than you think you don't know,
> or because someone tries to confuse you stopping you from knowing.
>
> Example, on the very first message I only gave you the very general
> information and you went ahead to do more researching (not many people do

<blush> I suppose that comes from several years of being a Linux
user, where whoever's asking the questions is expected to work on
solving them as much as he/she is able to.

> And you were the one who reported about the HP 21/22 refillable
> ink cartridge you found on internet, then I posted many different links to
> photos of transparent refillable ink cartridges for Epson, HP, Canon, and
> even posted some link to Youtube.

In general I tend to over-research things, which sometimes is
helpful, like here.

Meanwhile I'm still "playing around" with refilling OEM HP 22 carts,
both with and without the sponges in them.

Thanks again for all your help!

Adam
From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
>> Meanwhile I'm still "playing around" with refilling OEM HP 22 carts,
>> both with and without the sponges in them.
>
> I don't have the OEM HP22 to play to be able to give you any information
> what I may find. But as I have mentioned that there are 3-4 different
> designs of the Refillable Ink Cartridge. The OUTSIDE all look pretty much
> the same, or nothing special about it, but the INSIDE may be slightly
> different than other. And that's how they control the INK from leaking.

Yes, my conclusion is that removing the sponges from a cartridge
designed to have sponges creates a mess sooner or later, at least
with the OEM HP 22. I'm sure the ones designed and sold as
spongeless have their own methods of preventing ink leaks.