From: Joe788 on
Probably because he's doing it wrong.

[
"To me chaining is stupid and a waste of my time and shows how little
original thought is often put into designing a better way instead of
just copying what almost everyone else is doing." -Jon Banquer
]

And this.....

[
"I'm able to select the complete chain with someone else's imported
wireframe drawing when I transform their wireframe geometry to the
proper Z level. Sometimes I use break at intersection to make this
easier. When I draw the model in wireframe I change Z levels and draw
it on the proper Z level. I have not had a chance to use / read about
the MasterCAM X solid model selection tools yet and don't know how
much MasterCAM X automates the process of chaining solids compared to
wireframe." - Jon Banquer
]

I tried to help you Jon, but you didn't want the help. You're still
struggling along, transforming z depths and breaking at intersections.
LOL!
From: Bill on
On May 20, 7:15 am, Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I tried to help you Jon, but you didn't want the help. You're still
> struggling along, transforming z depths and breaking at intersections.
> LOL!

So people still extract edges and curves to drive tools? For most
situations, I can't see why one would do it that way?

--
Bill
From: Joe788 on
On May 20, 1:29 pm, Bill <johnsondi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 7:15 am, Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried to help you Jon, but you didn't want the help. You're still
> > struggling along, transforming z depths and breaking at intersections.
> > LOL!
>
> So people still extract edges and curves to drive tools? For most
> situations, I can't see why one would do it that way?
>
> --
> Bill

Jon was doing all kinds of fun stuff! I knew he was doing something
terribly wrong when he was going on and on about how many clicks it
was taking him to select a chain. Turns out he was unaware of the
plane mask function. I still tried to get him to explain exactly what
he was trying to do, and why he was having such a hard time, but he
didn't want to spit it out. Eventually he rambled incoherently about
"the way this shop has always done it". When I LOLed at his
transforming Z depths and breaking intersections, it scared him away
and he still to this day has not even made an attempt at explaining
his issues with geometry selection.

I know he's still struggling though, because awhile back he posted a
"ground breaking" canned demo of SolidCAM's geometry selection, and
they were doing the same thing that you could do in MC for the last 10
years. LOL!
From: Bill on
On May 20, 2:08 pm, Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> ... was doing all kinds of fun stuff! I knew he was doing something
> terribly wrong when he was going on and on about how many clicks it
> was taking him to select a chain. Turns out he was unaware of the
> plane mask function.

Here's the deal: I select the edges of the solid (or full faces) I
want to be the boundary. No I don't need to tell the system what type
of objects I'm selecting - it is a computer so it should know that
right? I decide if it's open or closed. I let is automatically set
the plane or I tell it what the plane is (at any axis even). Hell, the
system doesn't care if the edges are even connected. By default, it
knows to create the path to each intersection unless I tell it they
are separate paths. After all, it is a computer. Does one still need
to tell the system ahead of time what type of object they're
selecting??? I don't understand all this "chaining" madness. Now,
elegant engages and retracts to sequentially laid out features with
minimal air moves - that's the art (and the money).

--
Bill
From: Joe788 on
On May 20, 5:20 pm, Bill <johnsondi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 2:08 pm, Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> > ... was doing all kinds of fun stuff! I knew he was doing something
> > terribly wrong when he was going on and on about how many clicks it
> > was taking him to select a chain. Turns out he was unaware of the
> > plane mask function.
>
> Here's the deal: I select the edges of the solid (or full faces) I
> want to be the boundary. No I don't need to tell the system what type
> of objects I'm selecting - it is a computer so it should know that
> right?  I decide if it's open or closed. I let is automatically set
> the plane or I tell it what the plane is (at any axis even). Hell, the
> system doesn't care if the edges are even connected. By default, it
> knows to create the path to each intersection unless I tell it they
> are separate paths. After all, it is a computer. Does one still need
> to tell the system ahead of time what type of object they're
> selecting??? I don't understand all this "chaining" madness. Now,
> elegant engages and retracts to sequentially laid out features with
> minimal air moves - that's the art (and the money).
>
> --
> Bill

Bill, you just hover the mouse over the edge if you want to pick the
edge and make a chain, or you hover it over the face if you want to
pick the face. It will change the autocursor depending on what you're
about to select.