From: Robert Nicholson on
So, yesterday I saw something disturbing in the log of one of our
processes. We have a process that writes to data in schema A but it's
log was complaining about an invalid trigger in schema B where there
is no relationship defined that should create any dependency b/w these
two schemas A and B.

Why is it that when I was writing to objects in Schema A that it
complained about an invalid trigger in Schema B when there is no
relationship b/w these two schemas or sets of objects?

The only relationship is that the objects and schemas are sharing the
same tablespaces.

This was in Oracle 11g RAC

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jul 10, 8:20 pm, Robert Nicholson <robert.nichol...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> So, yesterday I saw something disturbing in the log of one of our
> processes. We have a process that writes to data in schema A but it's
> log was complaining about an invalid trigger in schema B where there
> is no relationship defined that should create any dependency b/w these
> two schemas A and B.
>
> Why is it that when I was writing to objects in Schema A that it
> complained about an invalid trigger in Schema B when there is no
> relationship b/w these two schemas or sets of objects?
>
> The only relationship is that the objects and schemas are sharing the
> same tablespaces.
>
> This was in Oracle 11g RAC

Well, there must be a dependency of some sort. I can think of these:

a) an invalid trigger in Schema B on a table in Schema A. This one
would be obvious.
b) a trigger in Schema A issues a direct or an indirect (by calling a
stored procedure in Schema B) DML on a table in Schema B, which in
turn has an invalid trigger on that table. Synonyms might be involved.

More details (like statements executed and errors returned) would be
helpful for further analysis.

Hth,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev

From: Robert Nicholson on
On Jul 10, 3:32 pm, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
<vladimir.zakharyc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:20 pm, Robert Nicholson <robert.nichol...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So, yesterday I saw something disturbing in the log of one of our
> > processes. We have a process that writes to data in schema A but it's
> > log was complaining about an invalid trigger in schema B where there
> > is no relationship defined that should create any dependency b/w these
> > two schemas A and B.
>
> > Why is it that when I was writing to objects in Schema A that it
> > complained about an invalid trigger in Schema B when there is no
> > relationship b/w these two schemas or sets of objects?
>
> > The only relationship is that the objects and schemas are sharing the
> > same tablespaces.
>
> > This was in Oracle 11g RAC
>
> Well, there must be a dependency of some sort. I can think of these:
>
> a) an invalid trigger in Schema B on a table in Schema A. This one
> would be obvious.
> b) a trigger in Schema A issues a direct or an indirect (by calling a
> stored procedure in Schema B) DML on a table in Schema B, which in
> turn has an invalid trigger on that table. Synonyms might be involved.
>
> More details (like statements executed and errors returned) would be
> helpful for further analysis.
>
> Hth,
>    Vladimir M. Zakharychev

What was strange was that the trigger in question was only generating
thru sequence the id of the table in schema a.

and that has absolutely nothing to do with anything in schema b.
From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jul 11, 9:06 pm, Robert Nicholson <robert.nichol...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 10, 3:32 pm, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
>

> <vladimir.zakharyc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 10, 8:20 pm, Robert Nicholson <robert.nichol...(a)gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > So, yesterday I saw something disturbing in the log of one of our
> > > processes. We have a process that writes to data in schema A but it's
> > > log was complaining about an invalid trigger in schema B where there
> > > is no relationship defined that should create any dependency b/w these
> > > two schemas A and B.
>
> > > Why is it that when I was writing to objects in Schema A that it
> > > complained about an invalid trigger in Schema B when there is no
> > > relationship b/w these two schemas or sets of objects?
>
> > > The only relationship is that the objects and schemas are sharing the
> > > same tablespaces.
>
> > > This was in Oracle 11g RAC
>
> > Well, there must be a dependency of some sort. I can think of these:
>
> > a) an invalid trigger in Schema B on a table in Schema A. This one
> > would be obvious.
> > b) a trigger in Schema A issues a direct or an indirect (by calling a
> > stored procedure in Schema B) DML on a table in Schema B, which in
> > turn has an invalid trigger on that table. Synonyms might be involved.
>
> > More details (like statements executed and errors returned) would be
> > helpful for further analysis.
>
> > Hth,
> >    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
>
> What was strange was that the trigger in question was only generating
> thru sequence the id of the table in schema a.
>
> and that has absolutely nothing to do with anything in schema b.

Wait a sec: you initially stated that the trigger is in schema B. And
it generates an id for a table in schema A from a sequence. And this
trigger is invalid. Is this correct? If not, please provide more
details on your setup.

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev