From: bob on
Running XP, seems like once a month an update is downloaded and installed the
way they recommend, automatically, and my computer inevitably crashes!!!

If they can make it smart enough to break itself, why can't they make it
smart enough to fix it. I come here for help, and leave with a headache, and
my machine's future uncertain!

Maybe it's time to go back to MAC!!!!

At least those crashed less often.

So how's a guy to figure what the hell is wrong with his machine????

And please don't say use the trouble shooter...

oh yeah, what's the difference between windows update and microsoft update?

I'm inclined to shut off all automatic updates and the next time the machine
crashes, throw out all my windoze based machines and go back to mac!
From: Shenan Stanley on
bob wrote:
> Running XP, seems like once a month an update is downloaded and
> installed the way they recommend, automatically, and my computer
> inevitably crashes!!!
>
> If they can make it smart enough to break itself, why can't they
> make it smart enough to fix it. I come here for help, and leave
> with a headache, and my machine's future uncertain!
>
> Maybe it's time to go back to MAC!!!!
>
> At least those crashed less often.
>
> So how's a guy to figure what the hell is wrong with his machine????
>
> And please don't say use the trouble shooter...
>
> oh yeah, what's the difference between windows update and microsoft
> update?
>
> I'm inclined to shut off all automatic updates and the next time
> the machine crashes, throw out all my windoze based machines and go
> back to mac!

Good luck.

Whatever you do will likely be pretty much futile, or so it seems.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Is KB979683 or KB977165 listed in Add/Remove Programs?

Open IE (only) to this page and run the Fix It:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980966. What result do you get?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)