From: Sean M. DonCarlos on
"Bruno van Dooren [MVP VC++]" wrote:

> For me, it is not C++ OR C#. it is C++ AND C#.
> If you already know C++, C# is dead easy to learn.

Even if you don't learn C#, an even halfway-experienced C++ developer can
read C# code samples and have no difficulty understanding how to get C++/CLI
to accomplish the same basic thing.

My biggest gripe with C# is all the little minor syntax differences between
it and C++...trips me up all the time.

Sean
From: Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP] on
"Sean M. DonCarlos" <serenseven(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> My biggest gripe with C# is all the little minor syntax differences
> between
> it and C++...trips me up all the time.

.... but then, many would argue that C# was designed to be an easy transition
from Java, not from C++. I totally agree though - for me now, it's just the
opposite: I've written so much C# that when I go back to C++ I'm constantly
using '.' where I should have used '::' or '->'.

-cd

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Language debates about "Why is x better than y" are always such fun!

Mostly because they are largely content-free.

I like C# because I like some of the reflexive features; I don't need to do a lot of work
to get names of enums to print out as names of enums instead of integers, for example.
There is a nice symmetry to how certain interfaces work that would not have been possible
in C++.

But its just another language.
joe

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:03:02 -0700, Sean M. DonCarlos <serenseven(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote:

>"Bruno van Dooren [MVP VC++]" wrote:
>
>> For me, it is not C++ OR C#. it is C++ AND C#.
>> If you already know C++, C# is dead easy to learn.
>
>Even if you don't learn C#, an even halfway-experienced C++ developer can
>read C# code samples and have no difficulty understanding how to get C++/CLI
>to accomplish the same basic thing.
>
>My biggest gripe with C# is all the little minor syntax differences between
>it and C++...trips me up all the time.
>
>Sean
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com