From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>This Index on the Textfield isn't just useless if you *never* search for
>the whole text, it may even degrade overall performance.

The index would only degrade performance when doing record inserts or
updates. Normally I'd say updates to that field only however if there
isn't enough room in the 2k/4k page for added data in the record then
Jet would have to move the record to another page.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:
>
>>This Index on the Textfield isn't just useless if you *never* search for
>>the whole text, it may even degrade overall performance.
>
> The index would only degrade performance when doing record inserts or
> updates. Normally I'd say updates to that field only however if there
> isn't enough room in the 2k/4k page for added data in the record then
> Jet would have to move the record to another page.
>
> Tony
> --

Tony, that's what I meant with overall performance.
No gain in searching, but additional overhead when adding neu records
or updating existing ones or deleting records or compacting the database.

Of course this depends on the frequence of changes and the size of the
table. I think it may really become an issue if the table holds more than
some hundredthousand records.

Helmut.