From: Robert A Duff on
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> writes:

> Then to get the element at index 5, one needs to write something like
> Element(V,5).
>
> Is there a way to redefine this so one need to only write V(5) ?

Not yet.

There is a proposal for this for Ada 2012.
And some other useful syntactic sugar.

- Bob
From: robin on
"none" <none(a)none.net> wrote in message news:pan.2010.04.05.20.51.46.20000(a)none.net...
| On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:19:07 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
|
| Dismissing Algol as ephemeral ignores its influence and continuing usage
| as a base of pseudo-codes. Important numerical libraries were first
| implemented in ALgol,

No, they were first implemented in machine code,
and later rewritten in Algol and FORTRAN.
The numerical procedures of the General Interpretive Programme
were written in machine code, from 1955.

From: Peter Hermann on
Charles H. Sampson <csampson(a)inetworld.net> wrote:
> Has anyone written a paper "Ada for Scientific Programming"? I

http://www.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de/forschung/ada/resources_on_ada/
look into "SEE Ada"
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <4bba8bf1$0$56418$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/06/2010
at 11:18 AM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>No, they

Who is "they"? Note the lack of a universal qualifier. Are you claiming
that all algorithms were developed first in machine code, much less all
algorithms developed in the 1960's and 1970's? For that matter, do you
know of *any* algorithm that was first developed in machine code? I'm sure
that there were some, but I'd expect them to be rare as hen's teeth and
mostly limited to the 1950's and very early 1950's.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Georg Bauhaus on
Keith Thompson schrieb:
> Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauhaus(a)maps.futureapps.de> writes:
> [...]
>> C99 (note the year) has complex types, says C hasn't. Well, it
>> hadn't, as some point in the last century.
> [...]
>
> Unfortunately, the C99 standard has not yet been universally adopted.
> Very few compilers fully support it. Many support most of it,
> but I understand that Microsoft's compiler still supports only C90
> (with maybe a handful of C99-specific features).
>
> Which means that as soon as you write "#include <complex.h>", you've
> limited the portability of your program.

OHOH, scientific programs would require best use of your
computer's resources, wouldn't they? So

(1) why run scientific programs on an OS (still largely written in C
AFAIK ...) that by default makes a herd of programs and services keep
your computer really busy without your program running, and

(2) why not use a better C compiler (if it has to be C) even on
MS Windows, such as the ones listed below---if it has to be C?

(I should add that the MS OS is purchased at a higher price
than most alternatives, too; price was a listed as an issue.)

But indeed, even though there is C in Windows NT,

"Thanks for taking the time to send us your suggestion. Currently, there are
no plans to implement C99 support in VS2010. Once we complete this product
cycle, we will be reviewing all customer suggestions, including this one, for
our future planning.

"Thanks,
Mark Roberts
Visual C++ Team"

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/485416/support-c99

So for scientific computing, MS C will be a less attractive choice
than GNU C or Intel C, or Comeaucomputing's C on top of MS C adding
C99 to MS C, or ...

Or less attractive than compilers for one of the other
languages such as Ada or Fortran or ... that support both fairly recent
standards and computing with complex numbers.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: A good methodology ...
Next: Build raw binary on Windows