From: robin on
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message
| In <4bc97500$0$78577$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/17/2010
| at 06:43 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
|
| >Had you actually read what I wrote in my first post in this thread,
|
| I did; it was both irrelevant and unsubstantiated.

You're wrong on both counts.

| >you would have comprehended that I said "first IMPLEMENTED in machine
| >code"
|
| See above.
|
| >And I twice substantiated my claim.
|
| No; you neither identified the algorithms to which you were referring

What don't you understand about "General Interpretive Programme".
That's the algorithm. It's the one I indentified. Four times now.

nor
| demonstrated that they had not previously been implemented on, e.g., dead
| trees, mechanical calculators.

That's irrelevant.
But if you want an example of that, try computer-produced music.

From: Gary L. Scott on
On 4/23/2010 6:25 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Peter Flass wrote:
>>> How were random numbers generated before computers? Did they not have
>>> viable algorithms for the purpose?
>>
>> I think the "Chem Rubber Bible" has a table of random numbers you can
>> use; just pick a spot to start. OTOH, that begs the question of how
>> they were generated in the first place. I have visions of a roomful of
>> people flipping coins.
>
> Just take any bad quality resistor, zenerdiode, or a number
> of other electronic components, amplify the noise, and use it
> with a bit of hardware to produce an endless stream of random numbers.
> No computers needed.
Excellent time to trim nonessential newsgroups
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
In comp.lang.fortran Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:
(snip)

> Just take any bad quality resistor, zenerdiode, or a number
> of other electronic components, amplify the noise, and use it
> with a bit of hardware to produce an endless stream of random numbers.
> No computers needed.

Well, you need at least some digital logic to convert it
into a number. There is a paper by intel on their design for
a random number generator based on such noise sources.

-- glen
From: Richard Maine on
Gary L. Scott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Excellent time to trim nonessential newsgroups

That would be all of them in this case. :-)

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <4bd19a2b$0$895$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/23/2010
at 05:29 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>No it isn't.

When you deny that important numerical algorithms were developed in a
particular language, how is the dispute not about the development of
algorithms?

>But if you want original development, try

>But if you want original development, try

You still are doging the point in dispute. Nobody claimed that everything
was developed in Algol, that most algorithms were developed in Algol or
that Algol was the first language to be used to develop algorithms. You're
attempts to change the subject remind me more and more of your friend
David Frank.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: A good methodology ...
Next: Build raw binary on Windows