From: Maciej Sobczak on
On 6 Kwi, 02:38, Robert A Duff <bobd...(a)shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:

> > Is there a way to redefine this so one need to only write V(5) ?
>
> Not yet.
>
> There is a proposal for this for Ada 2012.

Interesting. Is this proposal publicly available?

The ability to overload the function call and indexing operators in C+
+ is one of the most important language features and its presence in
Ada would be a very welcome addition.
It is only a pity that there would be no way to overload a function
call operator for the parameterless case. ;-)

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

YAMI4 - Messaging Solution for Distributed Systems
http://www.inspirel.com/yami4
From: Adam Beneschan on
On Apr 3, 10:30 pm, "J-P. Rosen" <ro...(a)adalog.fr> wrote:

> This kind of remark comes generally from hear-say of people who never
> had a serious look at Ada. Unfortunately, it is easier to repeat a rumor
> than to investigate seriously...

What's really sad is when a physics professor does that. Aren't
scientists supposed to be the ones who test and investigate things?

-- Adam
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 4/6/10 10:07 AM, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> On 6 Kwi, 02:38, Robert A Duff<bobd...(a)shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to redefine this so one need to only write V(5) ?
>>
>> Not yet.
>>
>> There is a proposal for this for Ada 2012.
>
> Interesting. Is this proposal publicly available?

I guess it is this one:

http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ai05s/ai05-0139-2.txt

From: Nasser M. Abbasi on

"Georg Bauhaus" <rm-host.bauhaus(a)maps.futureapps.de> wrote in message

> I guess it is this one:
>
> http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ai05s/ai05-0139-2.txt

Thanks for the link. Yes, I see this:

"Essentially we are allowing a container to be "indexed" in the same way as
an array is indexed, with the key (or potentially various different key
types) being arbitrary. "

http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ai05s/ai05-0139-2.txt?rev=1.5

This sounds good. Any guess when will gnat have this? 2012, 2013, 2014?

--Nasser

From: Maciej Sobczak on
On 6 Kwi, 10:07, Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homep...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> It is only a pity that there would be no way to overload a function
> call operator for the parameterless case. ;-)

Heck, when I think more about this it seems that even this would be
possible by analyzing the context of the given expression. That would
work in a similar way as overloading on return types.
For example, assuming that My_Magic_Type has an overloaded procedure
call operator and My_Other_Magic_Type has an overloaded function call
operator:

declare
X : My_Magic_Type;
Y : My_Other_Magic_Type;
begin
X; -- parameterless procedure call on X
A := Y; -- parameterless function call on Y
X (1, 2); -- procedure call on X with two params
B := Y (3); -- function call on Y with one param
end;

But I'm not really sure if that would be actually useful in the
context of other Ada features. Especially - the only place where it
would make sense is with generics, but then their specification syntax
would blow up even more.
You cannot have everything, I guess...