From: sjw on
On Apr 8, 4:27 pm, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
<spamt...(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:
> In <m2tyrnjc5f....(a)pushface.org>, on 04/07/2010
>    at 08:27 PM, Simon Wright <si...(a)pushface.org> said:
>
> >Wasn't Ada Augusta's first program an algorithm to compute Fibonacci
> >numbers? That would certainly have been in machine code.
>
> But was it a new algorithm, or merely a transcription of an algorithm that
> she already knew? And, more important, do you know for a fact that *Robin*
> knew about it? Note carefully what I asked and what I didn't ask.

Sorry, can't be bothered. Especially since this thread was all about
algorithms being *implemented* not *developed*.
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <f5a9304e-e6eb-40b2-8944-a6ca4bc92b1b(a)q15g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, on
04/16/2010
at 04:04 AM, sjw <simon.j.wright(a)mac.com> said:

>Sorry, can't be bothered. Especially since this thread was all about
>algorithms being *implemented* not *developed*.

How do you develop an algorithm without implementing it, if only and a
pencil and a dead tree? Would you claim that, e.g., Euclid's Algorithm,
was not developed until the advent of computers?

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: robin on
"robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> wrote in message news:4bba8bf1$0$56418$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net...
| "none" <none(a)none.net> wrote in message news:pan.2010.04.05.20.51.46.20000(a)none.net...
|| On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:19:07 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
|| Dismissing Algol as ephemeral ignores its influence and continuing usage
|| as a base of pseudo-codes. Important numerical libraries were first
|| implemented in ALgol,
|
| No, they were first implemented in machine code,
| and later rewritten in Algol and FORTRAN.
| The numerical procedures of the General Interpretive Programme
| were written in machine code, from 1955.
|
|| and later translated to Fortran when Algol's
|| momentum faltered.

For the record, algorithms in the following areas were
first written in machine code, from the mid-1940s,
and run from the early 1950s.

Differential equations
solving linear equations
latent roots
matrix multiplication
calculate determinants
matrix transpose
matrix inversion
linear porogramming
multple linear regression
statistical tabulations.
input and output
floating-point arithmetic (software)

Most were part of the General Interpretive Programme,
developed at National Physical Laboratory by 1955.

In particular, 129 simultaneous equations solved on Pilot ACE in 1952.
Simultaneous equations and second-order differential equations were solved,
and are documented in proceedings of 1953 NPL symposium.
Aircraft flutter design calculations were done in 1952 with the introduction of jet
aeroplanes -- made compulsory in 1954 following investigations of
crashes of the Comet (the investigation itself required extensive computer calculations).
Crystallography calculations from 1954.

Just to mention a few ...