From: RandomUser on
If I have FF-3.5 compatible audio/video plugins available, why would I
want or need Pulseaudio (or any other "sound server") to be required and
installed by Firefox-3.5?
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 12/12/2009 02:43 PM, RandomUser wrote:
> If I have FF-3.5 compatible audio/video plugins available, why would I
> want or need Pulseaudio (or any other "sound server") to be required and
> installed by Firefox-3.5?

Just, because the maintainer and, or users of the port did not find time
to figure out what might be a right choice in case of FreeBSD ;)

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Warren Block on
RandomUser <rannumgen(a)globaleyes.net> wrote:
> If I have FF-3.5 compatible audio/video plugins available, why would I
> want or need Pulseaudio (or any other "sound server") to be required and
> installed by Firefox-3.5?

Firefox 3.6 (www/firefox3-devel), you mean? The Makefile says
pulseaudio is only needed if you have a version of FreeBSD before 7.0.

From: RandomUser on
Warren Block wrote:
> RandomUser <rannumgen(a)globaleyes.net> wrote:
>> If I have FF-3.5 compatible audio/video plugins available, why would I
>> want or need Pulseaudio (or any other "sound server") to be required and
>> installed by Firefox-3.5?
>
> Firefox 3.6 (www/firefox3-devel), you mean? The Makefile says
> pulseaudio is only needed if you have a version of FreeBSD before 7.0.

I am not concerned about the choices made for different versions of
FBSD. What I want is to remove the requirement for an application for
which I have no use and which eats up a lot of resources.

What is that FBSD motto about not introducing changes that break
existing applications? In my mind, forcing pulseaudio as a requirement
breaks that motto. It should be an option instead.

That brings me back to my original question: why does Firefox need a
sound server - why pulseaudio (or libsydney_oss)?

If FBSD has the ability to "play audio" via plugins or other standalone
applications, why is a "sound server" required? Note: "required" not
"desired".

ls -l /usr/ports/INDEX-7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 21618682 Dec 22 19:26 /usr/ports/INDEX-7

grep pulseaudio INDEX-7 | awk -F\| '{print $1}' | sort
accerciser-1.8.0
akode-plugins-pulseaudio-2.0.2_2
alacarte-0.12.4
arista-0.9.3
compiz-0.8.4
compiz-fusion-0.8.4
compiz-plugins-extra-0.8.4
compiz-plugins-main-0.8.4
compiz-plugins-unsupported-0.8.4
compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.4
compizconfig-python-0.8.4
deskbar-applet-2.28.0
drivel-2.0.2_10
emerald-0.8.4
fldigi-3.11_3
gdm-2.28.2
gimmie-0.2.7_4
glipper-1.0_3
gmerlin-0.4.1_1
gmerlin-avdecoder-1.0.1_1
gnome-applets-2.28.0_1
gnome-art-0.2_4
gnome-control-center-2.28.1_1
gnome-games-2.28.2
gnome-games-extra-data-2.28.0
gnome-media-2.28.1_1
gnome-session-2.28.0
gnome-settings-daemon-2.28.1_2
gnome-splashscreen-manager-0.2_8
gnome2-2.28.2
gnome2-fifth-toe-2.28.2_1
gnome2-hacker-tools-2.28.2
gnome2-lite-2.28.2_1
gnome2-power-tools-2.28.2
gnomesudoku-0.6.0_2
gstreamer-plugins-all-1.3.0.10.1_6
gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.10.17,3
hamster-applet-2.28.2
libcompizconfig-0.8.4
moonlight-1.0.1_4
ontv-2.4.0_7
openmovieeditor-0.0.20090105
orca-2.28.2
padevchooser-0.9.3_2
paman-0.9.4_1
pavucontrol-0.9.7_1
pavumeter-0.9.3_2
pessulus-2.28.0
pidgin-rhythmbox-2.0_3
pulseaudio-0.9.21
py26-gnome-desktop-2.28.0
py26-pychess-0.8.2_2
rbscrobbler-0.0.9_5
revelation-0.4.11_6
rhythmbox-0.12.6_1
scribes-0.3.3.3_3
serpentine-0.7_5
service-discovery-applet-0.4.3_9
sound-juicer-2.28.1_1
timer-applet-2.1.2_1
totem-2.28.5
totem-xine-2.28.5_5
tracker-gnome-0.6.95_1
wine-doors-0.1.2_3

ls -l /usr/ports/www/firefox35/Makefile
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root wheel 4058 Dec 16 20:07 Makefile

more /usr/ports/www/firefox35/Makefile
..
..
..
..if ${OSVERSION} < 700000
LIB_DEPENDS+= pulse.0:${PORTSDIR}/audio/pulseaudio
EXTRA_PATCHES= ${FILESDIR}/releng6_pulseaudio
..else
EXTRA_PATCHES= ${FILESDIR}/libsydney_oss
..endif
..
..
..
From: Warren Block on
RandomUser <rannumgen(a)globaleyes.net> wrote:
> Warren Block wrote:
>> RandomUser <rannumgen(a)globaleyes.net> wrote:
>>> If I have FF-3.5 compatible audio/video plugins available, why would I
>>> want or need Pulseaudio (or any other "sound server") to be required and
>>> installed by Firefox-3.5?
>>
>> Firefox 3.6 (www/firefox3-devel), you mean? The Makefile says
>> pulseaudio is only needed if you have a version of FreeBSD before 7.0.
>
> I am not concerned about the choices made for different versions of
> FBSD. What I want is to remove the requirement for an application for
> which I have no use and which eats up a lot of resources.

It appears that the later versions of Firefox need (or at least want)
sound server capabilities.

On FreeBSD 8, firefox3 (or -devel) wants esound.

> What is that FBSD motto about not introducing changes that break
> existing applications?

Which motto? "POLA" would imply sound works in Firefox, and the port
does that.

Which existing application broke?

> In my mind, forcing pulseaudio as a requirement breaks that motto. It
> should be an option instead.

That may require additional coding which no one has done yet ("Patches
welcome[TM]").

> That brings me back to my original question: why does Firefox need a
> sound server - why pulseaudio (or libsydney_oss)?

The freebsd-gecko mailing list would be a good place to ask, or
developer.mozilla.org.