From: Fred Nurk on
It is necessary to classify data into different types because a computer
must use a system of codes to classify the data processed.

That's my answer (which I've tried to take from my textbook) to this
thread's subject.

My textbook has this paragraph:
A data type refers to how the computer classifies data. We can all see at
a glance whether data is numerical or expressed as a percentage or
currency but a computer must use a system of codes to classify the
different types of data that are processed. The different data types in
computer programming include integers, characters, Boolean, floating
point numbers, real numbers, dates, pointers, records, algebraic data
types, abstract data types, reference types, classes and function types.

Does my answer make sense? Could I do a better job of showing my
understanding of the importance of data types using the textbook
paragraph?