From: Peter Olcott on
I can copy a file to and from my Samba network in 20
seconds, yet it takes 80 seconds to compute its MD5 value.
The delay is not related to the MD5 processing time because
it can compute this in 12 seconds from the local drive.

What is going on here?

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> I can copy a file to and from my Samba network in 20
> seconds, yet it takes 80 seconds to compute its MD5 value.
> The delay is not related to the MD5 processing time because
> it can compute this in 12 seconds from the local drive.
>
> What is going on here?

Probably in how you are reading the file to hash it.

Are you doing block I/O or streaming (byte) I/O?

To me, that might explain the different timings your describe.

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Hector Santos wrote:

> Peter Olcott wrote:
>
>> I can copy a file to and from my Samba network in 20 seconds, yet it
>> takes 80 seconds to compute its MD5 value. The delay is not related to
>> the MD5 processing time because it can compute this in 12 seconds from
>> the local drive.
>>
>> What is going on here?
>
> Probably in how you are reading the file to hash it.
>
> Are you doing block I/O or streaming (byte) I/O?
>
> To me, that might explain the different timings your describe.

Just to note, the baseline time you are shooting for <= 32 seconds:

20 to read, 12 to process.

However, your 12 seconds includes local file I/O time, so whatever
that is, your ideal network/processing time should be:

20 + 12 - localIOtime <= 32

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>
>> I can copy a file to and from my Samba network in 20
>> seconds, yet it takes 80 seconds to compute its MD5
>> value. The delay is not related to the MD5 processing
>> time because it can compute this in 12 seconds from the
>> local drive.
>>
>> What is going on here?
>
> Probably in how you are reading the file to hash it.
>
> Are you doing block I/O or streaming (byte) I/O?
>
> To me, that might explain the different timings your
> describe.
>
> --
> HLS

I am doing block I/O, and it is very fast on the local drive
and much slower on the 1.0 gb LAN, yet file copies to and
from the LAN are still fast.

(1) File copy to and from the LAN is faster than local drive
copies, 20 seconds for LAN, 25 seconds for local.
(2) Block I/O is fast on the local drive, 12 seconds for 632
MB.
(3) Block I/O is slow on the LAN, 80 seconds for 632 MB.
I also tried changing the block size from 4K to 1500 bytes
and 9000 bytes (consistent with Ethernet frame size), this
did not help.

From: Peter Olcott on

> Hector Santos wrote:
>
>> Peter Olcott wrote:
>>
>>> I can copy a file to and from my Samba network in 20
>>> seconds, yet it takes 80 seconds to compute its MD5
>>> value. The delay is not related to the MD5 processing
>>> time because it can compute this in 12 seconds from the
>>> local drive.
>>>
>>> What is going on here?
>>
>> Probably in how you are reading the file to hash it.
>>
>> Are you doing block I/O or streaming (byte) I/O?
>>
>> To me, that might explain the different timings your
>> describe.
>
> Just to note, the baseline time you are shooting for <= 32
> seconds:
>
> 20 to read, 12 to process.
>
> However, your 12 seconds includes local file I/O time, so
> whatever that is, your ideal network/processing time
> should be:
>
> 20 + 12 - localIOtime <= 32
>
> --
> HLS

It takes 12 seconds to read and process the file locally the
first time, it only takes 4 seconds to process the same file
again. Both the network and the local machine have
equivalent processors and disk drives. The LAN has a 1.0 gb
connection.