From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-08-04, Paul Rubin <no.email(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

>> The issue that would prevent its use where I work is the inability to
>> hire anybody who knows Ada. ...
>> That said, the last time I looked the Ada spec was only something like
>> 100 pages long, so a case could be made that it won't take long to
>> learn.
>
> Well, I don't know Ada (I've read about it but not written actual
> code), so maybe I shouldn't be the one saying this, but geez, it's
> another imperative, procedural language, like Algol or Pascal or even
> C. Its type is much more serious than C's but shouldn't be a problem
> for anyone who uses C++ or Java generics.

I agree 100%.

> It also has a real module system unlike more commonly used languages,
> but 1) that part seems easy to understand; and 2) usually that's used
> for multi-programmer projects, so as long as there's some reasonable
> proportion of experienced users on the team, the inter-module
> interfaces should be sensible and less experienced users can just
> program to existing interfaces and/or get some help from others.
> Ada's module system is much simpler than (say) ML's.
>
>> I don't know how long the C++ language spec is, but I'm betting it's
>> closer to 1000 than 100.
>
> I don't know about an official spec. Stroustrup's "The C++
> programming language" is about 1000 pp, but it's a textbook, with
> lots of examples, exercises, etc. I read through an earlier
> (shorter) edition in a couple of evenings a long time ago and it all
> made sense. It has some hairy aspects like the notorious template
> metaprogramming, but most users simply won't get involved with that.
> Python has its own obscure and confusing features if that matters.

I couldn't get anybody to use Python either. :/

The problem has nothing to do with the relative merits of the
languages. The problem is inertia.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I would like to
at urinate in an OVULAR,
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-08-04, Paul Rubin <no.email(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the hiring issue is. I think anyone skilled in C++
> or Java can pick up Ada pretty easily. It's mostly a subset of C++
> with different surface syntax.

In my experience, the hiring issue is "we're already behind schedule
and short-handed, we don't have the time or resources to teach people
a new language."

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Did YOU find a
at DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-08-04, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe+thunder(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards:
>
>> That said, the last time I looked the Ada spec was only something like
>> 100 pages long, so a case could be made that it won't take long to
>> learn. I don't know how long the C++ language spec is, but I'm
>> betting it's closer to 1000 than 100.
>
> The Ada 2012 Language Reference Manual is 860 pages and the Ada 2005
> LRM was 790 pages. The annotated versions are even longer
> http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

Wow. That's grown a lot over the years. I used to have a paper copy,
(single-sided), and it was only about 1cm thick. Ok, I guess that was
probably 20 years ago...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I wonder if I ought
at to tell them about my
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <i3bsjf$kfm$2(a)reader1.panix.com>, Grant Edwards wrote:

> In my experience, the hiring issue is "we're already behind schedule
> and short-handed, we don't have the time or resources to teach people
> a new language."

Most people seem to need tutorials or handholding of some sort. Look at the
number of questions in this group which could be answered just by reading
the reference manual.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <i3bseh$kfm$1(a)reader1.panix.com>, Grant Edwards wrote:

> The problem has nothing to do with the relative merits of the
> languages. The problem is inertia.

So how was C++ able to get popular in the first place? And how was Java able
to grab some share from it?