From: Nobody on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:17:35 -0700, Peter wrote:

> But I always used to tell
> people - by the time I got a program to compile then I figured 99% of
> the bugs were already discovered! Try that with C/C++ or almost any
> other language you care to name :-)

ML and Haskell are also quite good for this (although I wish they
supported integer subranges). Also, the statelessness of FP eliminates
entire classes of bugs.

From: Nobody on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:18:30 -0700, sturlamolden wrote:

>> Has it ever been planned to rewrite in C++ the historical implementation
>> (of course in an object oriented design) ?
>
> OO programming is possible in C. Just take a look at GNOME and GTK.

One feature which can't readily be implemented in C is the automatic
clean-up side of the RAII idiom.

From: Chris Rebert on
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Nobody <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:18:30 -0700, sturlamolden wrote:
>>> Has it ever been planned to rewrite in C++ the historical implementation
>>> (of course in an object oriented design) ?
>>
>> OO programming is possible in C.  Just take a look at GNOME and GTK..
>
> One feature which can't readily be implemented in C is the automatic
> clean-up side of the RAII idiom.

That's not directly related to object-orientation though.

Cheers,
Chris
From: James Mills on
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Nobody <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> One feature which can't readily be implemented in C is the automatic
> clean-up side of the RAII idiom.

C is a Turing-Complete Language is it not ?

If so, therefore is it not true "anything" can be implemented ?
Even the "automated clean-up side of the RAIL idiom" ?

cheers
James

--
-- James Mills
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:48:24 +1000, James Mills wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Nobody <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> One feature which can't readily be implemented in C is the automatic
>> clean-up side of the RAII idiom.
>
> C is a Turing-Complete Language is it not ?
>
> If so, therefore is it not true "anything" can be implemented ? Even the
> "automated clean-up side of the RAIL idiom" ?

True, but Nobody said it can't *readily* be implemented, not that it
can't be.

--
Steven