From: Bob Newman on
If Microsoft says that Win 7 will run just fine on 1 GB why don't they
install it (instead of Starter Edition) on netbooks?

Bob

From: Barry Watzman on
"Starter Edition" IS Windows 7.

From: Larry on
"Bob Newman" <bobnewman(a)cox.net> wrote in news:cV4Gm.40366$cL1.12721
@newsfe20.iad:

> If Microsoft says that Win 7 will run just fine on 1 GB why don't they
> install it (instead of Starter Edition) on netbooks?
>
> Bob

Do you need an answer to that question?.....(c;]

Ah, I didn't think so.....

--
Larry

From: Bob Newman on

"Larry" <noone(a)home.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman(a)cox.net> wrote in news:cV4Gm.40366$cL1.12721
> @newsfe20.iad:
>
>> If Microsoft says that Win 7 will run just fine on 1 GB why don't they
>> install it (instead of Starter Edition) on netbooks?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Do you need an answer to that question?.....(c;]
>
> Ah, I didn't think so.....
>
> --
> Larry

Yes I need an answer. Let me rephrase. Why do most of the netbooks come
with a "crippled" version of Windows 7 when Microsoft says they are fully
capable of running the standard, basic version they put in other, let's call
them "economical" computers. Is it possibly a concession the computer
manufacturers make to keep netbook prices low? To my knowledge (please
correct me if I'm wrong) the "Starter" edition is found nowhere but on
netbooks.

Bob

From: Larry on

> "Larry" <noone(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman(a)cox.net> wrote in news:cV4Gm.40366$cL1.12721
>> @newsfe20.iad:
>>
>>> If Microsoft says that Win 7 will run just fine on 1 GB why don't
>>> they install it (instead of Starter Edition) on netbooks?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> Do you need an answer to that question?.....(c;]
>>
>> Ah, I didn't think so.....
>>
>> --
>> Larry
>>

> Yes I need an answer. Let me rephrase. Why do most of the netbooks
> come with a "crippled" version of Windows 7 when Microsoft says they
> are fully capable of running the standard, basic version they put in
> other, let's call them "economical" computers. Is it possibly a
> concession the computer manufacturers make to keep netbook prices low?
> To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) the "Starter"
> edition is found nowhere but on netbooks.
>
> Bob

The obvious answer is to make the crippled version run at an acceptable
speed on slower equipment with so little memory to run it on. The
crippled version leaves a few hundred megabytes of RAM available for the
user's apps, without which I suppose sales would soon be zero when the
buyers wised up!

The other possibility, of course, is to prevent netbooks from becoming a
replacement for the laptop beasts that are so profitable. It doesn't
take a rocket scientist to figure out the netbook runs anything off the
internet not involving heavy computer, what 99% of it, just as fast as a
superlaptop that costs 5 times as much and gobbles whatever battery you
buy in an hour or so, rendering the beast pretty useless as a portable
device away from AC power. The big laptops remind me of my luggable
Compaq XT Portable that looked like a sewing machine and had to be
plugged in for its miserable 90 watt power supply to run. $2,495.00 at
Sears Business Center, Jacksonville, FL. I had to fight two university
professors trying to steal it away from me....(c;] Sears only had 3,
the total number of Compac portables in North Florida for months!

The reason they're STILL only coming with 1GB is becoming more obvious,
now that we've moved away from blaming Micro$oft that it was part of the
deal for using XP, not Vista. 1GB will slow down the netbook and reduce
these cheap computers' competition for much more expensive glitzy models
that aren't selling well at all.

After spending a couple of hours playing with a brand new, untouched
Nokia 3G netbook with the little "Tiny Vista7", my name for the new
netbook OS, not theirs, I'd tell everyone to treat the damned hobbled up
thing like the PLAGUE! I'm reading too much about corporate control
from RIAA, MPAA, bigtime corporate software houses, etc.....plus, in
this case, Nokia's slavery to AT&T Wireless on the 2 year
contract....YECCH!

What are we, Crazy?!

--
Larry