From: Stewart on
I want to buy a new 15" laptop and one of the main criteria is that it
should produce reasonable quality sound when we are listening to the bbc
iplayer, dvds etc..
I have a laptop at present but the sound quality is tinny and abysmle..
The Acer laptops are shown as having dolby sound but I am not sure if this
makes a difference. it is not easy to try them out in a store otherwise I
would take along a cd and listen to that.
Does anyone know of a brand that has reasonable sound output?
My price range is between �450 and �550.
Thank you.

From: AJL on
"Stewart" <him(a)invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote:

>I want to buy a new 15" laptop and one of the main criteria is that it
>should produce reasonable quality sound when we are listening to the bbc
>iplayer, dvds etc..
>I have a laptop at present but the sound quality is tinny and abysmle..

Have you tried using media players other than the default player that
came on your laptop? Some players sound better than others. Try them
to see if they will improve on the sound. Also try adjusting the
equalizer which often comes set to 'flat'. For example adding a little
bass may help with the tinny sound.

>The Acer laptops are shown as having dolby sound but I am not sure if this
>makes a difference.

My Acer 5516 15" laptop has audio comparable to the mp3 players I own
except for one annoying thing. It has weak electronic sounds in the
background. Clicks and buzzes including drive noises. They can only be
heard on earphones and cannot be heard during songs or other audio
played at a normal volume. But it is still slightly annoying. Course
this is a US$339 laptop so I got what I paid for. Fortunately other
than reviewing downloads prior to transfer to my portable players I
don't use the audio much so it wasn't a deal breaker.

>it is not easy to try them out in a store otherwise I
>would take along a cd and listen to that.

If audio is very important to you I would think that trying the laptop
in the store is about the only way to be sure you get what you like.

>Does anyone know of a brand that has reasonable sound output?

You will surely get suggestions. However will you gamble big bux on
what someone else thinks is good sound? I wouldn't... ;)
From: Stewart on
Thank you; the two I am looking at just now are the Acer AS5532 and the Acer
Aspire 5536G. There is not a lot of price difference.

"AJL" <339(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote in message
> "Stewart" <him(a)invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I want to buy a new 15" laptop and one of the main criteria is that it
>>should produce reasonable quality sound when we are listening to the bbc
<snip>
<snip>

From: Barry Watzman on
I doubt if there is any significant difference in the "sound card" of
any laptops. The differences are in the output stages and the speakers.
The best advice might be to use external amps and speakers, but some
laptops are definitely better in this regard than others.

From: Larry on
"Stewart" <him(a)invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote in

> I want to buy a new 15" laptop and one of the main criteria is that it
> should produce reasonable quality sound when we are listening to the
> bbc iplayer, dvds etc..
> I have a laptop at present but the sound quality is tinny and
> abysmle.. The Acer laptops are shown as having dolby sound but I am
> not sure if this makes a difference. it is not easy to try them out
> in a store otherwise I would take along a cd and listen to that.
> Does anyone know of a brand that has reasonable sound output?
> My price range is between �450 and �550.
> Thank you.

Put some of your favorite music on a USB flash drive and test them all....

After you're as dissatisfied as the rest of us, start shopping for an
external speaker/amp or portable headphones, the latter of which are a much
better solution.

Here, waste $11.82 on these Sennheisers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z7BYSA
then try to find something that sounds better that is so comfortable and
will store in your little laptop case. Sennheiser anything is fantastic,
even ones so cheap!

I don't think you'll find ANY laptop that sounds good, even ones costing
more because BOSE sold 'em a license to use their name. "Poor" is my best
rating. Netbooks are rated "Horrible!". I don't even know why they bother
putting earbud drivers in little plastic tubes and calling them a
"speaker".

Good luck.

--
Larry