From: Robert Klemme on
2010/3/15 Space Ship Traveller <space.ship.traveller(a)gmail.com>:
> Thats odd - the link has been stripped out.
>
> Why teach Ruby in schools? - Orion Transfer Ltd
> http://www.oriontransfer.co.nz/education/learn-ruby/why/index

I think the first item in the list is a very important one! I am
missing these items in your list:

- Ruby is a fully object oriented language - there are no hybrid
constructs like Java's plain old datatypes, instead everything is an
object.

- Ruby can be used consistently with a variety of programming
paradigms: procedural, object oriented class based, object oriented
prototype based, functional etc. So you need only one language to
cover several areas and you can even implement the same task in
different paradigms in the same program to make comparison of
paradigms simple.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigm

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Space Ship Traveller on
Dear Robert,

These points are fantastic.

This is a great contrast to many other languages. I have added these points in, the first under comprehension, and the second under evaluation.

Again, I really appreciate these ideas.

Kind regards,
Samuel

From: Stuart Ellis on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:37 +0900, "Space Ship Traveller"
<space.ship.traveller(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Thats odd - the link has been stripped out.
>
> Why teach Ruby in schools? - Orion Transfer Ltd
> http://www.oriontransfer.co.nz/education/learn-ruby/why/index
>
> Kind regards,
> Samuel

One thing that might be relevant is the way that Ruby seems to enable a
fairly smooth progression in scale and sophistication. You can start
with simple one-liners and single file scripts and move on to larger
structured applications in a more or less incremental way, and stop at
whatever level is comfortable. The fact that Ruby can be used at a
simple level probably doesn't hold back learners later - they don't have
to switch tools or relearn existing knowledge if they want to progress
on to advanced techniques.

It's worth checking the claim in the Evaluation section that Java is
essentially proprietary - I don't really follow Java development, but
Linux distributions definitely now use an official version that passes
Open Source criteria (it's branded as OpenJDK).

FWIW, the RailsBridge community has several people who use Ruby for
teaching, and there's some discussion on the Google group:

http://teachingkids.railsbridge.org/
http://groups.google.com/group/railsbridge
--

Stuart Ellis

From: Space Ship Traveller on
Dear Stuart,

Thanks for these great points. It is a really key component of Ruby that you can start off with something simple and progress to more advanced concepts and techniques as you learn more. It is a very fluid growth.

I was looking at this page about OpenJDK on Wikipedia

> The implementation is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) with a linking exception, which exempts components of the Java class library from the GPL licensing terms.

This seems to imply that the GPL applies to the core implementation, but not the Java Class Libraries. I'm not sure where this stands in terms of proprietary / free + open.

Thanks for your comments and I will research it more.

Kind regards,
Samuel