From: Space Ship Traveller on
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on an educational project. Part of this has involved writing a report about why Ruby is (would be) a good language in an educational context.

I'm currently developing this report, and am looking for feedback.

There might be bugs or inaccuracies - feel free to point it out. I'm after positive feedback and constructive criticism. I would like to see Ruby used more in schools and part of this project is about bringing teachers on board. Many people are teaching Visual Basic, Perl, etc, and it would be great to provide some clear reasons why Ruby is an excellent language for teaching.

Why teach Ruby in schools? - Orion Transfer Ltd

If anyone knows of any other resources regarding this topic, I'd be most interested.

Thanks
Samuel

From: Josh Cheek on

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Space Ship Traveller <
space.ship.traveller(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm working on an educational project. Part of this has involved writing a
> report about why Ruby is (would be) a good language in an educational
> context.
>
> I'm currently developing this report, and am looking for feedback.
>
> There might be bugs or inaccuracies - feel free to point it out. I'm after
> positive feedback and constructive criticism. I would like to see Ruby used
> more in schools and part of this project is about bringing teachers on
> board. Many people are teaching Visual Basic, Perl, etc, and it would be
> great to provide some clear reasons why Ruby is an excellent language for
> teaching.
>
> Why teach Ruby in schools? - Orion Transfer Ltd
>
> If anyone knows of any other resources regarding this topic, I'd be most
> interested.
>
> Thanks
> Samuel

Missing the link :)

From: Space Ship Traveller on
Thats odd - the link has been stripped out.

Why teach Ruby in schools? - Orion Transfer Ltd
http://www.oriontransfer.co.nz/education/learn-ruby/why/index

Kind regards,
Samuel

From: David Masover on
On Sunday 14 March 2010 10:37:46 pm Space Ship Traveller wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm working on an educational project. Part of this has involved writing a
> report about why Ruby is (would be) a good language in an educational
> context.
>
> I'm currently developing this report, and am looking for feedback.

I don't know where it would fit, but you might mention Try Ruby:

http://tryruby.org/

Type 'help' to bring up the brilliant tutorial. So easy my mother can follow
it. The fact that the interactive shell exists -- that alone is a reason to
choose Ruby over any language without such a shell. (BlueJ provides a shell
for Java, but it's hideous.)

From: Space Ship Traveller on
Dear David,

Thanks.

I will certainly be including a link to this fantastic site.

Kind regards,
Samuel