From: J. Clarke on
Markku Kolkka wrote:

> serge wrote:
>> You've mention apple and dell 30" monitors.
>> As far as know Dell requires PCIe cards with dual dvi. Only thoses
>> card would suuport
>> the resolution. I wonder could there be AGP cards with dual dvi that
>> would support
>> the 2xxx x 16xx resolution.
>
> Yes, but AFAIK they are expensive "workstation" cards intended for CAD
> applications, e.g. ATI FireGL X3-256, 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 200 or
> nVidia Quadro FX 3000. A new motherboard + dual link capable PCIe card
> is likely to be cheaper than one of those cards.

Don't know how well it works with Linux but ATI has a dual-link capable 9600
aimed at the Mac market--they call it the "Mac & PC Edition" or some
such--for about $150.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
From: Markku Kolkka on
Markku Kolkka wrote:

> serge wrote:
>> You've mention apple and dell 30" monitors.
>> As far as know Dell requires PCIe cards with dual dvi. Only thoses
>> card would suuport
>> the resolution. I wonder could there be AGP cards with dual dvi that
>> would support
>> the 2xxx x 16xx resolution.

I just read that Sapphire has a Radeon 1600PRO AGP card with dual-link
DVI: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29246
Unfortunately Radeon 1x00 cards aren't supported even by ATI's
proprietary Linux drivers, so this card is currently useless for Linux
users.

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka(a)iki.fi

From: Beef on
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:58:33 +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> serge wrote:
>> You've mention apple and dell 30" monitors.
>> As far as know Dell requires PCIe cards with dual dvi. Only thoses
>> card would suuport
>> the resolution. I wonder could there be AGP cards with dual dvi that
>> would support
>> the 2xxx x 16xx resolution.
>
> Yes, but AFAIK they are expensive "workstation" cards intended for CAD
> applications, e.g. ATI FireGL X3-256, 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 200 or
> nVidia Quadro FX 3000. A new motherboard + dual link capable PCIe card
> is likely to be cheaper than one of those cards.

At my last place of work, we were all kitted out with Dell PCs running
Linux. I don't know what the video card was, but it had a single DVI
connecter, into which was plugged a cable splitter that then fed two 21"
TFT screens to give a wide display...

The demo room had a similar set-up, but with a pair of really big screens.
The resolution was no better, but were intended to be viewed by a roomful
of people at over ten feet distance.

Beef
From: iforone on

Bill Marshal wrote:
> > The final category of monitor are those that are more-or-less just HDTV
> > sets to which a computer has been plugged in. If it's over 30 inches
> > diagonally, that's probably what you're looking at. Surprisingly, these
>
> Hi. Thanks for the reply.
>
> No, this was a real monitor that looked a yard wide, but is more like 25
> to 30 inches. They have lots of HDTV types that look great with a movie
> but horrible when connected to a computer. I two friends who found that
> out.
>
> But, what actually caught my eye was not just the size, but the absolutely
> wonderfully sharp image of the desktop that was showing. It was at least
> as good as my very good Samsung 19".
>
> Looks like, from your and other's replies, that all I need is a good
> Nvidia card and it ought to do the job. I plan to go back over this
> weekend and see what they are using, but making sure that I have lots of
> time to research it properly this time. Reconfiguring my XF86Config-4
> file is no big deal, especially with LCD monitors that you can't blow by
> experimenting.
>
> Bill

First see if it requires a Dual-Link DVI to support the higher
resolutions - and note the Resolution that the display is currently
running at;

see these for some cabling/jacks visual aids;
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/
http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Video-Flat.htm

I went over to Apple to try and track down which card they were selling
- well for $199, you can have this nVidia 6600;
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA271Z/A

The NVIDIA GeForce 6600 includes 256MB of GDDR SDRAM and
offers both a single-link DVI port and a dual-link DVI port
that can simultaneously support one 23-inch and one 30-inch
Apple Cinema HD Display.

the 6600 is not the latest and greatest, but may just suit your needs

From: Joseph2k on
Bill Marshal wrote:

>> run of cards can't display the mode required. It would be something like
>> 4096 x 1024
>>

> Well, that was a typo. I meant something closer to 16:9, like 1820 x 1024
>
> Bill

The folks that started in a Cupertino garage have a 2560 x 1600 30" diagonal
display. It is down to about us$2500. You have to see it running full up
to believe it.
--
JosephKK