From: Loppan365 on

Gotta wierd problem. Earlier today i bought steam online and downloaded
it. Everything was going well but when i quited it the screen and pc
freezed and forced me to turn off the pc. I started it up again,and came
that far the widows was loading, the frame with the Windows logotype on
it. Here the screen is turning into powersaving mode and its all black,
then it sounds like � doubbleclick on a mouse and some strange music
starts. Ive done a recovery but the same thing is still happening, over
and over again. What can it be?

--
Loppan365
Loppan365's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/173613.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Loppan365" <Loppan365.44pjnb(a)DoNotSpam.com>

| Gotta wierd problem. Earlier today i bought steam online and downloaded it. Everything
| was going well but when i quited it the screen and pc freezed and forced me to turn off
| the pc. I started it up again,and came that far the widows was loading, the frame with
| the Windows logotype on it. Here the screen is turning into powersaving mode and its
| all black, then it sounds like � doubbleclick on a mouse and some strange music starts.
| Ive done a recovery but the same thing is still happening, over and over again. What
| can it be? -- Loppan365

Users on Techarena.in are not supported.

TechArena.in is a leech of Usenet and fakes that it provides forums when they are
actually Usenet news groups and uses the vBulletin USENET gateway. In this case it is a
news group within the Microsoft.* hierarchy and can be directly accessed via the Microsoft
news server; MSNews.Microsoft.Com using a news client via TCP port 119.

Users of TechArena.in are strongly ENCOURAGED to drop the TechArena.in leech of
Usenet and access "this" News Group directly with the following News URL...

Additionally, I strongly doubt that this is a "virus".

--
Dave

From: MEB on
On 01/12/2010 10:10 PM, Loppan365 wrote:
> Gotta wierd problem. Earlier today i bought steam online and downloaded
> it. Everything was going well but when i quited it the screen and pc
> freezed and forced me to turn off the pc. I started it up again,and came
> that far the widows was loading, the frame with the Windows logotype on
> it. Here the screen is turning into powersaving mode and its all black,
> then it sounds like � doubbleclick on a mouse and some strange music
> starts. Ive done a recovery but the same thing is still happening, over
> and over again. What can it be?

What OS?

Where did you download it?

Have you tried Safe Mode or Recovery Console?

What anti-malware programs do you use and have they been updated recently?

Have you checked the log?

Is this a networked system?

What Service Pack level were you at?

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Loppan365" <Loppan365.44pjnb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Gotta wierd problem. Earlier today i bought steam online and
> downloaded
> it. Everything was going well but when i quited it the screen and pc
> freezed and forced me to turn off the pc. I started it up again,and
> came
> that far the widows was loading, the frame with the Windows logotype
> on
> it. Here the screen is turning into powersaving mode and its all
> black,
> then it sounds like � doubbleclick on a mouse and some strange music
> starts. Ive done a recovery but the same thing is still happening,
> over
> and over again. What can it be?

What did the "Steam Online" support staff have to say about this?

From: Derek Knight on

There is a trojan that is designed to only work on Vista or W7 or W2008 that does this

it is called Trojan.Win32.Scar

do an online scan with a good antivirus to find the files causing it

it is normally c:\users\<user name>\.COMMgr\complmgr.exe but also can be C:\Users\<user
name>\AppData\Roaming\SystemProc\lsass.exe

and fix their start up entries

For individual help with this one which also is believed to be a keylogger post at http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/

Derek MVP consumer security