From: Peter Olcott on
I want to know exactly how well I can depend upon the continued
existence of VBScript. I am considering embedding VBScript in a computer
system that I will be developing. Whatever scripting language that I
choose must be interpreted, and it must have minimal object oriented
support (it must have classes).
--
100% Accurate Display Screen OCR
http://www.OCR4Screen.com
From: Mayayana on
There's no "exactly" with Microsoft. In the case
of VBS they've expressed ambivalence. VBS has
been mildly de-emphasized. Javascript has been
adapted to .Net while VBS hasn't. And MS seems to
be slightly pushing PowerShell over WSH, even
though they're really two completely different things.

On the other hand, VBS is used with WMI. It's
commonly used with Windows Installer. It's
still supported by IE. It's there in the WSH.

If it were me I'd be thinking about two things:

* Will Windows 8 have WSH? (I don't know. Probably
MS doesn't know.)

* Will Windows 8+ allow functionality like WSH in
the first place? They need to allow it on servers and
in corporate scenarios, but in general it's getting
more difficult to do things on Windows. MS is trying
to reinvent Windows as a money-making services
platform.

Apropos of your question, there was news yesterday
online about Steve Ballmer giving a pep talk to reporters.
He claims that Microsoft is working hard on tablets now.
A reporter asked what version of Windows would be on
these tablets. The resulting answer was 2 paragraphs
of nearly incoherent ranting...without answering the
question. It's been reprinted around the Web. :)

From: ekkehard.horner on
Peter Olcott schrieb:
> I want to know exactly how well I can depend upon the continued
> existence of VBScript. I am considering embedding VBScript in a computer
> system that I will be developing. Whatever scripting language that I
> choose must be interpreted, and it must have minimal object oriented
> support (it must have classes).

With regard to the quality of the language (especially its support for
OO features), Perl, Python, or Javascript/JScript seem to be a better
choice.
JScript is part of the package that contains VBScript, so it will be
supported as long as VBScript. (Iron)Python works with .NET.
ActiveState's Perl is easy to install and works well with Windows.
From: Peter Olcott on
On 7/31/2010 11:49 AM, ekkehard.horner wrote:
> Peter Olcott schrieb:
>> I want to know exactly how well I can depend upon the continued
>> existence of VBScript. I am considering embedding VBScript in a computer
>> system that I will be developing. Whatever scripting language that I
>> choose must be interpreted, and it must have minimal object oriented
>> support (it must have classes).
>
> With regard to the quality of the language (especially its support for
> OO features), Perl, Python, or Javascript/JScript seem to be a better
> choice.
> JScript is part of the package that contains VBScript, so it will be
> supported as long as VBScript. (Iron)Python works with .NET.
> ActiveState's Perl is easy to install and works well with Windows.

It has to be an Active Scripting language or it won't work for my
purposes. My system will be build entirely from ActiveX components. The
only OO feature that I need is classes.

From: ekkehard.horner on
Peter Olcott schrieb:
> On 7/31/2010 11:49 AM, ekkehard.horner wrote:
>> Peter Olcott schrieb:
>>> I want to know exactly how well I can depend upon the continued
>>> existence of VBScript. I am considering embedding VBScript in a computer
>>> system that I will be developing. Whatever scripting language that I
>>> choose must be interpreted, and it must have minimal object oriented
>>> support (it must have classes).
>>
>> With regard to the quality of the language (especially its support for
>> OO features), Perl, Python, or Javascript/JScript seem to be a better
>> choice.
>> JScript is part of the package that contains VBScript, so it will be
>> supported as long as VBScript. (Iron)Python works with .NET.
>> ActiveState's Perl is easy to install and works well with Windows.
>
> It has to be an Active Scripting language or it won't work for my
> purposes. My system will be build entirely from ActiveX components. The
> only OO feature that I need is classes.

All languages mentioned are ActiveScript languages - you can use all
four in (one) .wsh file(s). What are classes without inheritance,
polymorphism, overloading? Most important (in my opinion): VBScript
is the only language without second party support.