From: David Teich on
My old C drive is 54gb. I already have My Documents on a larger drive but my
program files are close to filling up the C. If I buy a larger drive, have
someone just do a straight image of the existing C into the first 50GB of the
new drive, will XP SP3 boot up ok?
From: SC Tom on

"David Teich" <DavidTeich(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old C drive is 54gb. I already have My Documents on a larger drive but
> my
> program files are close to filling up the C. If I buy a larger drive, have
> someone just do a straight image of the existing C into the first 50GB of
> the
> new drive, will XP SP3 boot up ok?

It should work just fine for you. I recently fixed my stepdaughter's
notebook that way. She had a 40GB drive that was all but 4GB full, and slow
as molasses in Boston in December (her home). I imaged the existing drive,
then put a new 80GB drive in (the limit for her notebook), wrote the image
to the new drive, and it booted up like nothing had ever happened, only
much, much faster. I use Acronis True Image for the imaging, creating the
boot CD from within the program.
Since it's an image, it was only 40GB on the new drive, so I used Easus
Partition Master Home Edition Free http://www.easeus.com/download.htm to
make it 80GB. It runs directly from Windows, not requiring a reboot.
I did this about 5-6 weeks ago, and she's still happy as can be with it.
--
SC Tom

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:72DDC0E7-F2EC-4D1B-A0B3-736F2DBD907E(a)microsoft.com
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGVpY2g=?= <DavidTeich(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> My old C drive is 54gb. I already have My Documents on a larger drive
> but my program files are close to filling up the C. If I buy a larger
> drive, have someone just do a straight image of the existing C into
> the first 50GB of the new drive, will XP SP3 boot up ok?

If it's done right, certainly. You don't even have to do the "first
50GB" bit, but move to a larger partition, or even an unpartitioned
larger drive.

I used some Acronis tool a few years back when I got a larger drive for
my laptop. I can't be more precise than that since Acronis seems to
change their product names and descriptions on a monthly basis :-)

Other folks used Norton's "Ghost" to do the same with equal success.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: LVTravel on

"David Teich" <DavidTeich(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old C drive is 54gb. I already have My Documents on a larger drive but
> my
> program files are close to filling up the C. If I buy a larger drive, have
> someone just do a straight image of the existing C into the first 50GB of
> the
> new drive, will XP SP3 boot up ok?

When you get the new hard drive, if it is a retail boxed one you may have a
CD in the box, or go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site, and there
should be a utility to allow you do do just what you want to do which is
transfer the entire drive to the new drive. It will copy the entire 54 GB
drive to your new larger drive and "extend" the partition to the maximum
size of the drive or allow you to set the new partition size (depending on
the program they supply.)

If the drive is a bare (OEM) drive do the same to the web site of the
manufacturer and download their program for transferring the contents of the
drive.

Hope this helps, let us know.

From: Andrew E. on
1st,new hds come in a "raw" state,you must format it before anything
else takes place...Youre best bet for "mirroring" or "cloning" drive to drive
is to use xps "XCOPY", its already installed on XP so no other software is
needed...To do this,set youre new hd as slave to current 54gb,on same IDE
cable (new closest to board),in xp,go to run,type: diskmgmt.msc In msc,
R.click on the new hd,select format,use its default settings.Once thru,close
out msc,return to run,type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in
the
DOS window,once its thru,youre finished.Also,D: being the new hd,if asigned
a diffrent letter,then use it instead...