From: Ranbir Kaur Ranbir on
"John John" wrote:

> [...]
> have PCI devices that require memory address ranges so that they can
> properly execute their commands. These address ranges were mapped in
> the upper sections of this maximum amount. Since nobody thought you
> would be using up to 4GB these address ranges started around the last
> 500MB of the memory ranges. This range is called the T.O.M. or Top of
> Memory range. This is the point in the bios where it places on hold the
> amount of memory that is required by the various PCI devices that are
> found on the motherboard. Thus when you have PCI cards or AGP cards
> installed on your motherboard these devices hold on to memory for their
> own use and take away from the maximum amount of memory that is
> available for other tasks. This amount of memory can vary from a little
> as 200MB all the way to 1GB of memory (or even more in select cases).
> It just depends on the PCI devices you have and the amount of PCI
> (including AGP) that you have installed all at once.
>
> There is really no way to get around this basic design limitation. The
> only way to get around these type of issues is to use certain new
> designs that have brand new architectures (i.e 64-bit designs) that
> allow memory to be mapped in area's above 4GB. The brand new Intel Xeon
> designs and the AMD Opteron designs are built around 64-bit technology.
> This is only ½ of the equation that you would need to find success.
> You would also need to use an OS that is actually PAE or PAE aware so
> that it is able to address memory above the 4GB level. To find out
> about PAE you can search Microsofts website for PAE (Physical Address
> Extensions) and it will explain this concept and what OS's actually are
> capable of providing this benefit. Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 would
> fit both of these criteria. Windows XP on the hand would not allow this
> type of ability.
>
> Microsoft has addressed this type of issue in the following Microsoft
> Article (291988)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291988
>
> [end quote]
>
> http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/memory_faq.html
> (The article is dated, it is several years old. It makes no mention of
> 64-bit operating systems which, of course, are capable of using more
> than 4GB of RAM)
>
> Current crop of Microsoft 32-bit operating systems that can utilise more
> than 4GB of RAM with the use of Physical Address Extension:
>
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server - 8 processors and 8 GB RAM
>
> Windows 2000 Datacenter Server - 32 processors and 32 GB RAM
> (support for 64 GB was not offered because of a lack of systems for testing)
>
> Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 32 GB RAM
>
> Windows Server 2003 SP1, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 64 GB RAM
>
> Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 64 GB RAM
>
> Windows Server 2003 SP1, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 128 GB RAM

Unfortunately even with all these 64bit OS around, MS hasn't resolved the
hibernation issue. In ancient times servers had 4GB RAM but no one else would
even dream about it. To get my notebook running (and hibernating) with 4GB
RAM I had to use the boot.ini and change

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0="Windows XP Professional x64"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0="Windows XP Professional x64"
/execute /nopae /maxmem=4032 /fastdetect

and lose 500MB of RAM in the process.

I wished some clever programmer could fix this silly limitation

Ranbir
From: Nemesis on
Finally if i have a 64 Windows XP O/S i have to Disable PAE
/noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE to work with 4GB ram?
From: John John (MVP) on
64-bit versions of Windows do not support PAE, it is a useless switch in
the boot.ini file, the 64-bit Windows versions do not have a PAE kernel.

John

From: Nemesis on
What i have to do to work with 4 GB RAM in 64Bit Windows XP?

From: Nemesis on
What i have to do to work with 4 GB Ram in Windows XP 64bit ?

"John John (MVP)" wrote:

> 64-bit versions of Windows do not support PAE, it is a useless switch in
> the boot.ini file, the 64-bit Windows versions do not have a PAE kernel.
>
> John
>
> Nemesis wrote:
>
> > Finally if i have a 64 Windows XP O/S i have to Disable PAE
> > /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE to work with 4GB ram?
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Slipstreamed CD.
Next: OPK network problem