From: W. eWatson on
See Subject. I use matplotlib, scipy, numpy and possibly one other
module. If I go to the control panel, I only see numpy listed. Why? I
use a search and find only numpy and Python itself. How can matplotlib
and scipy be uninstalled?
From: David Robinow on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 17:16, W. eWatson wrote:
>>
>> See Subject. I use matplotlib, scipy, numpy and possibly one other
>> module. If I go to the control panel, I only see numpy listed. Why? I
>> use a search and find only numpy and Python itself. How can matplotlib
>> and scipy be uninstalled?
>
> Have you heard of google?
google is not relevant to this issue. This group is the correct forum.
I'm not sure what the answer to the OP's problem is. If you no longer
wish to use these modules I suggest doing nothing. No harm will
result.
If you want to upgrade just install the new version. If that doesn't
work, file a bug report.
From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM, David Robinow <drobinow(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/08/2010 17:16, W. eWatson wrote:
>>>
>>> See Subject. I use matplotlib, scipy, numpy and possibly one other
>>> module. If I go to the control panel, I only see numpy listed. Why? I
>>> use a search and find only numpy and Python itself. How can matplotlib
>>> and scipy be uninstalled?
>>
>> Have you heard of google?
> google is not relevant to this issue. This group is the correct forum.
> I'm not sure what the answer to the OP's problem is. If you no longer
> wish to use these modules I suggest doing nothing. No harm will
> result.

Since this is specifically a matplotlib and scipy question, the most
relevant forums would be the matplotlib and scipy mailing lists. The
maintainers of those projects are probably on those lists, and they'll
be able to answer this question better than we can since they know
what the installers do in the first place.

From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 10:56 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM, David Robinow<drobinow(a)gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> google is not relevant to this issue. This group is the correct forum.
>>> I'm not sure what the answer to the OP's problem is. If you no longer
>>> wish to use these modules I suggest doing nothing. No harm will
>>> result.
>>
>> Since this is specifically a matplotlib and scipy question, the most
>> relevant forums would be the matplotlib and scipy mailing lists. The
>> maintainers of those projects are probably on those lists, and they'll
>> be able to answer this question better than we can since they know
>> what the installers do in the first place.

> Well, you have a good point, and I will do that. However, I'm surprised
> there doesn't seem to be some uniformity on this subject.
>
> Yes, removing them directly is an option, but I prefer to find out why the
> discrepancy? BTW, I really do not plan to remove them now. The anomaly does
> deserve an answer.

There's a discrepancy because package management on Python is
completely broken. Distutils and Setuptools (and it's new fork,
Distribute) are inadequate- they act as installers, but don't provide
a way to uninstall the program. There are attempts to fix this, such
as pip and Activestate's PyPM, but they aren't used as widely as the
older methods.

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 13:21:55 -0400, David Robinow wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy(a)yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On 08/08/2010 17:16, W. eWatson wrote:
>>>
>>> See Subject. I use matplotlib, scipy, numpy and possibly one other
>>> module. If I go to the control panel, I only see numpy listed. Why? I
>>> use a search and find only numpy and Python itself. How can matplotlib
>>> and scipy be uninstalled?
>>
>> Have you heard of google?
> google is not relevant to this issue. This group is the correct forum.

I would have thought that people who hang around dedicated forums for
matplotlib and scipy would probably have more knowledge about the
workings of the matplotlib and scipy installers than generic Python
programmers, most of whom have never touched or used matplotlib or scipy.

> I'm not sure what the answer to the OP's problem is.

Oh the irony.

--
Steven