From: Lem on
RJK wrote:
<snip>

> The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
> suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope with
> a modified environment !
> And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the suite,
> doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the suite,
> which then seems to take account of the changes as it's reinstalled !

<snip

Actually, you'd be better off uninstalling the "security suite" and not
reinstalling it.

You DO need an antivirus program. You DON'T need all the rest of the
resource-consuming "features" typically found in such suites. In
particular, the combination of your router and the built-in Windows XP
firewall is sufficient protection against "port scanners" and other
Internet intrusion attempts.
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: RJK on

"Lem" <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote in message
> RJK wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
>> suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope
>> with a modified environment !
>> And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the
>> suite, doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the
>> suite, which then seems to take account of the changes as it's
>> reinstalled !
>>
> <snip
>
> Actually, you'd be better off uninstalling the "security suite" and not
> reinstalling it.
>
> You DO need an antivirus program. You DON'T need all the rest of the
> resource-consuming "features" typically found in such suites. In
> particular, the combination of your router and the built-in Windows XP
> firewall is sufficient protection against "port scanners" and other
> Internet intrusion attempts.
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections attempts
by all internet enabled software in my PC's, and AVG internet security suite
has never placed much of an overhead on my PC's.
And considering the vast range of sophisticated malware, out there -
particularly rootkits and "man in the middle" attacks (quite fascinating),
I'll keep AVG and other anti-malware software in place.

regards, Richard

From: James Egan on

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:53:30 +0100, "RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections attempts
>by all internet enabled software in my PC's

And the stuff you will be alerted to is the stuff which doesn't mind
getting caught. Anything (malware) wanting to bypass the alert can
readily do so.

Jim

From: RJK on

"James Egan" <jegan(a)jegan.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:53:30 +0100, "RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections
>>attempts
>>by all internet enabled software in my PC's
>
> And the stuff you will be alerted to is the stuff which doesn't mind
> getting caught. Anything (malware) wanting to bypass the alert can
> readily do so.
>

> Jim

Quite right :-)

regards, Richard