From: Darkray on

Hi there everyone!
I really hope you guys can help me out here!
I have searched the web and also this website for an answer, however
only answers i get are with WinXP.

This is why i started this new thread.

I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, and seem to have this
svchost.exe problem. In my Tast manager i have alot of Processes however
none of them exeeds 50.000k Memory. (this including Firefox, Outlook,
iTunes)
However the svchost.exe is using up 115500k Memory which is too much.

I hope you guys can help me out here!
Any other specs or info needed just ask and ill post what is needed to
get this problem solved!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chris

--
Darkray
Darkray's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/196772.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Rick on
Darkray wrote:
> Hi there everyone!
> I really hope you guys can help me out here!
> I have searched the web and also this website for an answer, however
> only answers i get are with WinXP.
>
> This is why i started this new thread.
>
> I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, and seem to have this
> svchost.exe problem. In my Tast manager i have alot of Processes however
> none of them exeeds 50.000k Memory. (this including Firefox, Outlook,
> iTunes)
> However the svchost.exe is using up 115500k Memory which is too much.
>
> I hope you guys can help me out here!
> Any other specs or info needed just ask and ill post what is needed to
> get this problem solved!
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Chris

disclaimer: I have Win xp (32 bit), but SeaMonkey is using 68MB.
With "Process Explorer" you should be able to see what process is using
that large svchost. What would also be interesting is to see how much
memory is used when <mystery process> starts - if it gains size over
time it could be a !memoryleak!.

What makes you think that 115MB is "too much" for a 64 bit machine?

From: Darkray on

Hi there Rick,
Thanks for you reply.

I have noticed that right after Startup of Windows the svchost.exe does
grow quite a bit. Considering its under 30.000k, and then grows to the
115.000k it has when my System is fully loaded.

> What makes you think that 115MB is "too much" for a 64 bit machine?

Considering that I always check my processes, and the usage of my pc.
Windows now consumes 40% of my memory with only Firefox running. Which
in my opinion is too much (or am i wrong???). Also considering I use
Task Manager a lot, svchost.exe has never caught my attention until it
became this memory absorbing problem.

My Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Intel Quad Core Q6600 (4x 2.4Ghz)
4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 280 with 1GB memory

From: Skywise on
Darkray <Darkray.481q1c(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> Hi there Rick,
> Thanks for you reply.
>
> I have noticed that right after Startup of Windows the svchost.exe does
> grow quite a bit. Considering its under 30.000k, and then grows to the
> 115.000k it has when my System is fully loaded.
>
>> What makes you think that 115MB is "too much" for a 64 bit machine?
>
> Considering that I always check my processes, and the usage of my pc.
> Windows now consumes 40% of my memory with only Firefox running. Which
> in my opinion is too much (or am i wrong???). Also considering I use
> Task Manager a lot, svchost.exe has never caught my attention until it
> became this memory absorbing problem.

Just as a point of reference, I am on a Win2k machine on a Core2duo
with 2 gigs using Firefox 3.5.6. It is currently consuming 332,500k.
Task Manager shows it has been as high as 687,956k since this instance
was started.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
From: Darkray on

OK here,

I have uploaded two images.

1 of the highest consuming processes, and the second image are the
services the svchost.exe process uses!

Maybe you guys recognize anything suspicious?

Greets

|Filename: task_manager_services.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=10749|