From: Yousuf Khan on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The Windows crashes are spaced out 3 or 4 days apart, and I can't run
>> Ubuntu on it for this long to test it. This
>> particular system is a home server, it runs a few background apps that
>> are only available on Windows, so it is limited to running Ubuntu only
>> occasionally, like for example when Windows crashes. :-)
>
> To run a Windows application in Ubuntu:
>
> apt-get install wine

Already have it, and it does run a few apps, which is fine. But not the
one I need it to run (needs access to low-level hardware interfaces).
I've also been looking at getting Virtualbox to run on this thing, but I
don't really have time to get it working at the moment. And regardless,
when you have virtualization, you still need Windows.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Jose wrote:
> If you are using the small memory dump you will have that message.
>
> You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
> do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.
>
> Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v

Okay, I've had another crash, and this time I got a full core dump
saved. It was the following Stop code:

BugCheck 24, {1902fe, f78beba0, f78be89c, b83fb504}
Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsDeleteCcb+84 )

I can't see anything particularly wrong when I run the Debugger's
"!verifier" command, and get the following output:

> 1: kd> !verifier
>
> Verify Level 9b ... enabled options are:
> Special pool
> Special irql
> All pool allocations checked on unload
> Io subsystem checking enabled
> DMA checking enabled
>
> Summary of All Verifier Statistics
>
> RaiseIrqls 0xd50089c4
> AcquireSpinLocks 0x6f16d5ff
> Synch Executions 0x0
> Trims 0x19e7df6
>
> Pool Allocations Attempted 0x426ff0e3
> Pool Allocations Succeeded 0x426ff0e3
> Pool Allocations Succeeded SpecialPool 0xddd6d41
> Pool Allocations With NO TAG 0x0
> Pool Allocations Failed 0x0
> Resource Allocations Failed Deliberately 0x0
>
> Current paged pool allocations 0x23b7f for 059076CC bytes
> Peak paged pool allocations 0x23b88 for 05910BDC bytes
> Current nonpaged pool allocations 0x29871 for 014AED80 bytes
> Peak nonpaged pool allocations 0x29888 for 014BF6E4 bytes

However, when I run the "!verifier 3" command, I get what looks like an
endless list of not-freed pool allocations. The list just scrolls off
the debugger window and there isn't enough to time or space to capture
them all. Is this normal?

Yousuf Khan
From: Peter Foldes on
Yousuf