From: Yousuf Khan on
I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
them so far. It always somewhere in the stack. So I enabled Driver
Verifier on NTOSKRNL, as well as HAL.DLL, NTFS.SYS, and FLTMGR.SYS which
were also identified on the stack during various of the events.

Okay so I had my latest crash yesterday, and it occurred on NTOSKRNL as
well. The Verifier was already enabled on the system prior to this
crash, and then when go to Windbg and execute the "!verifier" command,
it comes back with the message, "Unable to get verifier list". Why not,
it should be enabled?

When I check them on the command-prompt I get the following output back,
and they confirm that all of the files are being monitored. So can
somebody familiar with Driver Verifier and Windbg help me out here?

Yousuf Khan

***

>verifier /query
10/01/2010, 3:30:34 PM
Level: 0000009B
RaiseIrqls: 314843045
AcquireSpinLocks: 1893615496
SynchronizeExecutions: 0
AllocationsAttempted: 90514901
AllocationsSucceeded: 90514901
AllocationsSucceededSpecialPool: 7614086
AllocationsWithNoTag: 0
AllocationsFailed: 0
AllocationsFailedDeliberately: 0
Trims: 2452146
UnTrackedPool: 2872921

Verified drivers:

Name: ntoskrnl.exe, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 83397
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77485
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 87305
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77674
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49624396
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 11791484
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49827760
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 12139000

Name: hal.dll, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 0
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 4
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 8
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 6
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 0
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 992
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 768
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 32784

Name: fltmgr.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 2
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7161
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 16
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7173
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 16
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1166244
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 3440
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1169508

Name: ntfs.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 32443
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 28514
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 33133
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 29174
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9261776
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1880368
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9472944
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1965028
From: Jose on
On Jan 10, 4:49 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
> happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
> two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
> them so far. It always somewhere in the stack. So I enabled Driver
> Verifier on NTOSKRNL, as well as HAL.DLL, NTFS.SYS, and FLTMGR.SYS which
> were also identified on the stack during various of the events.
>
> Okay so I had my latest crash yesterday, and it occurred on NTOSKRNL as
> well. The Verifier was already enabled on the system prior to this
> crash, and then when go to Windbg and execute the "!verifier" command,
> it comes back with the message, "Unable to get verifier list". Why not,
> it should be enabled?
>
> When I check them on the command-prompt I get the following output back,
> and they confirm that all of the files are being monitored. So can
> somebody familiar with Driver Verifier and Windbg help me out here?
>
>      Yousuf Khan
>
> ***
>
>  >verifier /query
> 10/01/2010, 3:30:34 PM
> Level: 0000009B
> RaiseIrqls: 314843045
> AcquireSpinLocks: 1893615496
> SynchronizeExecutions: 0
> AllocationsAttempted: 90514901
> AllocationsSucceeded: 90514901
> AllocationsSucceededSpecialPool: 7614086
> AllocationsWithNoTag: 0
> AllocationsFailed: 0
> AllocationsFailedDeliberately: 0
> Trims: 2452146
> UnTrackedPool: 2872921
>
> Verified drivers:
>
> Name: ntoskrnl.exe, loads: 1, unloads: 0
> CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 83397
> CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77485
> PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 87305
> PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77674
> PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49624396
> NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 11791484
> PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49827760
> PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 12139000
>
> Name: hal.dll, loads: 1, unloads: 0
> CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 0
> CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 4
> PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 8
> PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 6
> PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 0
> NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 992
> PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 768
> PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 32784
>
> Name: fltmgr.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
> CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 2
> CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7161
> PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 16
> PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7173
> PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 16
> NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1166244
> PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 3440
> PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1169508
>
> Name: ntfs.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
> CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 32443
> CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 28514
> PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 33133
> PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 29174
> PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9261776
> NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1880368
> PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9472944
> PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1965028

If you are using the small memory dump you will have that message.

You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.

Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v
From: Mark Hobley on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
> happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
> two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
> them so far.

If you think the problem is with the IBM PC hardware chips, then I would
boot the system with an Ubuntu live CD, and see if that operates normally.
If it does, then the problem that you are experiencing is probably
software related. In my experience, the blue screen of death is usually a
software problem. I have no known fixes for this.

Is this a new system?
Or is it a system that has been working previously and now crashes more often?
Have you changed something on the system?
Has the harware changed?
Has any software been updated? (Beware of automatic updates)
Try disabling some hardware (sound drivers, network interfaces), and switching
to a standard VGA display setting, if the system lets you do this.
(On some systems it is necessary to remove pin 12 from the VGA cable).

> Okay so I had my latest crash yesterday

Some systems do crash several times a day.

If all else fails, I would look at migration to an open source based
system.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Yousuf Khan on
Jose wrote:
> If you are using the small memory dump you will have that message.
>
> You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
> do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.

Ah, I see, okay, then I'll go change that then.

> Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v

Well yes, I found out that NTOSKRNL is involved in all of them. :-)

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
>> happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
>> two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
>> them so far.
>
> If you think the problem is with the IBM PC hardware chips, then I would
> boot the system with an Ubuntu live CD, and see if that operates normally.

You don't have to tell me twice about that, as the system is already
running the latest Ubuntu in multi-boot. The problem doesn't occur on
Ubuntu, so far as I can tell, however it doesn't run Ubuntu for very
long periods of time either. The Windows crashes are spaced out 3 or 4
days apart, and I can't run Ubuntu on it for this long to test it. This
particular system is a home server, it runs a few background apps that
are only available on Windows, so it is limited to running Ubuntu only
occasionally, like for example when Windows crashes. :-)

> If it does, then the problem that you are experiencing is probably
> software related. In my experience, the blue screen of death is usually a
> software problem. I have no known fixes for this.
>
> Is this a new system?

No, it's a pretty mature system now. I built it and upgrade it myself.
It's an AMD A64X2-4200+ w/ 4GB RAM, and it runs in either 32-bit WinXP
SP3 or 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10.

> Or is it a system that has been working previously and now crashes more often?

Yes.

> Have you changed something on the system?
> Has the harware changed?
> Has any software been updated? (Beware of automatic updates)

Actually, the only change that I made to the system is that I added a
second external USB HD to it. It had a previous USB HD already attached
to it before, which is still attached to it, but then I picked up a
second one right after Boxing Day. Come to think of it, the first crash
occurred just a couple of days after that.

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that this new external drive is
somehow to blame, but I don't see why. It's just using a standard
Microsoft USB Mass Storage driver, and so was the previous external
drive. I don't think it could be due to power supply issues as I
upgraded the system's power supply early last year to a high-capacity
Zalman 650W unit.

Yousuf Khan