From: Asger-P on

Hi

I just tried creating a ftp connection through the

Desktop->NetHood->Add Network Place

That was easy and I played around a bit, copy file open
close etc. and then I suddenly couldn't get access anymore
No error messages I just kept getting the log on dialog.

I fired up my ftp client and got the message that the server
don't allow more then 4 connections. In other words WinXP
does not log of when closing a ftp folder.

Is there a cure for this problem ??

Best regards
Asger-P
From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Hi
>
> I just tried creating a ftp connection through the
>
> Desktop->NetHood->Add Network Place
>
> That was easy and I played around a bit, copy file open
> close etc. and then I suddenly couldn't get access anymore
> No error messages I just kept getting the log on dialog.
>
> I fired up my ftp client and got the message that the server
> don't allow more then 4 connections. In other words WinXP
> does not log of when closing a ftp folder.
>
> Is there a cure for this problem ??
>
> Best regards
> Asger-P

Look here:

http://www.keyongtech.com/3408117-how-to-logoff-an-ftp

Bernd
From: John Wunderlich on
Asger-P <junk(a)asger-p.dk> wrote in news:op.vb9xzgs32juju3(a)xpmain:

> Hi
>
> I just tried creating a ftp connection through the
>
> Desktop->NetHood->Add Network Place
>
> That was easy and I played around a bit, copy file open
> close etc. and then I suddenly couldn't get access anymore
> No error messages I just kept getting the log on dialog.
>
> I fired up my ftp client and got the message that the server
> don't allow more then 4 connections. In other words WinXP
> does not log of when closing a ftp folder.
>
> Is there a cure for this problem ??
>
> Best regards
> Asger-P

You are correct in that Explorer / Internet Explorer windows do not
gracefully close FTP sessions with the CLOSE command as most
dedicated FTP clients do, resulting in conditions such as you describe.

Since there is nothing that can be done at the client side (unless you
have influence with Microsoft), the issue goes to the server side.
Most servers will, of necessity, timeout the connection after a period
of time. Most default to five minutes. So just about your only option
is to contact the owner of the server to increase the number of allowed
connections and/or decrease the timeout period.

HTH,
John

Pages: 1
Prev: Safe mode