From: Steve on
Thanks for the reply. There are no error messages. It does have NtBackup
installed and when I click on the backed up file it opens a window with the
file in there, albeit the wrong filename, and it says there are no backup
files to restore. Unfortunately I did a format and reinstall of WinXP so I
don't think there is much chance of restoring the original install. If you
think there is a chance I will give it a try.
Steve

From: jjjdavidson on
NTBackup doesn't actually look for backup files when it opens; it looks for
separate "catalog" files that it built when running backups. Reinstalling XP
wipes out those catalog files, which are stored in the All Users profile.
Opening a .bkf file from Explorer doesn't cause NTBackup to catalog it.

To use an existing backup file: Open NTBackup, go to the "Restore and
Manage Media" tab, then on the menu bar go to "Tools / Catalog a backup
file..." Browse to the existing backup file on E: and open it up. It should
get added to the File tree in the left pane, and from there you should be
able to select files to restore.

Hope this helps.