From: Phil on
My apologizies for sending a blank post. Now I know why I didn't get a
response. a....duuhhhh!!!

O.K. Now, I have XP Pro that was previously installed on my computer (Dell
Dem. 4300). I had problems reinstalling it and once I did, it didn't go
will.

Fatal errormessage: ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE
SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED
Fatal error message: INSTALL FAILED D:\I386 ASMS ERROR PERFORMING IN PAGE
OPERATION or
Data error: (CYCLIC REDUDANCY CHECK)

Since then I have reformatted the hard drive and started clean, but to no
avail I'm back to the same error message.

Question: Was or is there any way that I could get the files needed, say
from the C:\ drive since the system had Windows installed on it already or
from Microsoft website and download to a disk and access the files I need
from there.

Any useful information on this would greatly be appreciated. Real
H-E-A-D-A-C-H-E

-- Phil

From: Peter Foldes on
What media are you using to install XP Pro ??

--
Peter

From: Jim on

"Phil" <phil56_(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> My apologizies for sending a blank post. Now I know why I didn't get a
> response. a....duuhhhh!!!
>
> O.K. Now, I have XP Pro that was previously installed on my computer (Dell
> Dem. 4300). I had problems reinstalling it and once I did, it didn't go
> will.
>
> Fatal errormessage: ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE
> SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED
> Fatal error message: INSTALL FAILED D:\I386 ASMS ERROR PERFORMING IN PAGE
> OPERATION or
> Data error: (CYCLIC REDUDANCY CHECK)
>
> Since then I have reformatted the hard drive and started clean, but to no
> avail I'm back to the same error message.
>
> Question: Was or is there any way that I could get the files needed, say
> from the C:\ drive since the system had Windows installed on it already
> or
> from Microsoft website and download to a disk and access the files I need
> from there.
>
> Any useful information on this would greatly be appreciated. Real
> H-E-A-D-A-C-H-E
>

> -- Phil

The message CYCLIC REDUDANCY CHECK is a hardware error. You didn't say
where the install media resides, but it usually is a CD drive. Hence,
either the CD drive is bad, the media is bad, the hard drive is bad, or any
combination of these possibilities. I wonder if it is likely that a CRC
error would occur during a write.

If you have another computer handy, you try reading the media in it. (Just
try getting a folder listing).

Jim

From: Phil on
I suppose it's Win Media11 which is installed have installed.
I also have Realplayer, which I have made my default media.
Could this be part of the problem?
--
Thanks, Phil

From: Phil on
Yes, D:\ is the CD drive.
I also have a DVD/CDROM E:\ drive and tried to install it from it, and the
same results or error messages.
There were no CRC errors that came during failed installation attempts.
--
Thanks, Phil

"Jim" wrote:

> "Phil" <phil56_(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> > My apologizies for sending a blank post. Now I know why I didn't get a
> > response. a....duuhhhh!!!
> >
> > O.K. Now, I have XP Pro that was previously installed on my computer (Dell
> > Dem. 4300). I had problems reinstalling it and once I did, it didn't go
> > will.
> >
> > Fatal errormessage: ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE
> > SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED
> > Fatal error message: INSTALL FAILED D:\I386 ASMS ERROR PERFORMING IN PAGE
> > OPERATION or
> > Data error: (CYCLIC REDUDANCY CHECK)
> >
> > Since then I have reformatted the hard drive and started clean, but to no
> > avail I'm back to the same error message.
> >
> > Question: Was or is there any way that I could get the files needed, say
> > from the C:\ drive since the system had Windows installed on it already
> > or
> > from Microsoft website and download to a disk and access the files I need
> > from there.
> >
> > Any useful information on this would greatly be appreciated. Real
> > H-E-A-D-A-C-H-E
> >

> > -- Phil
> >
> The message CYCLIC REDUDANCY CHECK is a hardware error. You didn't say
> where the install media resides, but it usually is a CD drive. Hence,
> either the CD drive is bad, the media is bad, the hard drive is bad, or any
> combination of these possibilities. I wonder if it is likely that a CRC
> error would occur during a write.
>
> If you have another computer handy, you try reading the media in it. (Just
> try getting a folder listing).
>
> Jim
>

> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last